JD310 TLB Thermostat Replacement

/ JD310 TLB Thermostat Replacement #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Last month I posted in the Construction Machine forum here on TBN about a temperature gauge & F450 error code problem with our John Deere 310 TLB. The problem hasn't gone away, so I'm going to start by replacing the thermostat, fluid, a couple of hoses, temp sensor, and doing a general radiator cleaning.

Only problem is that getting the old thermostat out and the new one in isn't as easy as it could be. I've about got it out, but there's still a stout half inch steel water tube mounted into some sort of sealed compression fitting on the thermostat housing that needs to be dealt with. That fitting is completely new to me, and I don't even see how it comes out. But it has to in order to remove the thermostat housing. The other end of that rigid steel tube goes into a similar fitting on the other side of the engine block so that end is no easier, and in fact requires that the thermostat housing come off first. Frankly connecting the thermostat housing to the block with such a heavy single tube looks like an odd way to do things; It would have been easy to put a joint iof any kind in the middle of the tube. But that's how it is...

If anyone has any hints or has done this before or can post pages from a workshop manual please I'd appreciate learning something here....
thanks,
rScotty