JD2440 rototiller

/ JD2440 rototiller #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am thinking about purchasing a JD2440 for all the Right reasons (Right price, Right condition, Right color, Right place at Right time) from a private owner. Basic tasks include rotary mowing and tillage, as well as back/box blading, post hole drilling/pounding etc - you know - all around maintenence for 20-60 acres. When I called a local JD dealer to inquire about implements they told me that the JD2440 was incompatible with the Howard 60" rotovator that I was also hoping to purchase at the same time (for the same reasons) because "the JD2440 was geared too fast". It has the standard 8x2 transmission (4fwd/1rev and Hi+Lo ranges). Is he just trying to sell me a new tractor (he was pushing the 4600) or is he correct that the 2440 would not be a good choice for tilling. Should I have the same concerns about the other tasks then? What are the readers' thoughts on the 2440?
/Rick
rgrinnell@rcsis.com

/ JD2440 rototiller #2  
I'm not seen a 2440, aleast in my neck of the woods, but I do know most utility and farm tractors will not work a tiller because low gear is too high of ground speed.

/ JD2440 rototiller #3  
Rick,

I've got a JD 2240 which is a smaller version of the one you are looking at (it has 50 pto HP). My tractor will go very, very slow in 1st gear, low range. I would be more concerned with purchasing a tiller that is rated for the pto HP of the 2440. Bye the way, I'm very happy with my 2240 so far.

Good Luck on the purchase, and Take Care,
Boots