JD X580 mower wont engage

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
Had my X580 drive belt snap on me Friday while I was mowing so I bought a new one & installed today. Went to engage the mower & it clicks from down below (maybe a solenoid?) & nothing else happens. Heck of a coincidence. Could I have put the drive belt on wrong (it ran fine when I drove it around for a few minutes)? Or any ideas on what may have happened? Thanks in advance!!!

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #2  
Putting the belt on wrong would not cause this. You can always test it by taking the belt off and then trying to engaging it.

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #3  
Sounds to me like when the belt let go, it took the wires that feed the magnetic clutch (that drives the mower) with it. Hopefully there are enough of the leads left that you can splice some leads to (with butt connectors) to energize the mag clutch again.

You don't want to know what a new one costs. lets just say the belt was cheap in comparison.

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #4  
Verify that the click from below is or isn't your PTO clutch firing. What deck and what belt was replaced?

/ JD X580 mower wont engage
Thanks all. How do I tell if it's the PTO clutch that's clicking other than just listening? It was the belt from the pulley under the engine to the pulley just above the rear of the mower deck. It wouldn't drive after it broke & when I replaced it, it drives fine so I figured it was the drive belt.

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #6  
Let's say that you have a 48" deck. Then the deck has a primary belt that runs from the engine to the stack assembly on the deck. It also has a secondary belt that runs amongst the spindle pulleys. Your tractor also has a transmission belt that comes from the engine to the transmission. To complicate matters, if you have a Powerflow for your bagger system, you have yet another belt.

It sounds like you are saying that you replaced the primary deck belt and now the deck is not working and the tractor moves and otherwise drives normally- correct? It could be good to confirm if it is a 48 Accel deck or a 48C also. Or really what deck you have.

On to the click, when the deck is engaged it is normal to hear a click from the clutch. You can also feel it on the body of the clutch.

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #7  
One thing not mentioned is the friction plate spacing on the magnetic clutch which is adjustable (or at least it is on my (not JD) zero turns. If the plate spacing is too great the clutch won't drive the deck.

/ JD X580 mower wont engage #8  
Had my X580 drive belt snap on me Friday while I was mowing so I bought a new one & installed today. Went to engage the mower & it clicks from down below (maybe a solenoid?) & nothing else happens. Heck of a coincidence. Could I have put the drive belt on wrong (it ran fine when I drove it around for a few minutes)? Or any ideas on what may have happened? Thanks in advance!!!
These schematics from JD parts may help you respond to some of the questions and guide the discussion toward a solution for you.

Thanks! Sorry forgot to mention it's a 54" Accel deck. No bagger on it so I don't think it has the Powerflow belt. Didn't know the click was normal, prob. have never heard it b/c the mower deck always engaged until now.

Great schematics beenthere, thanks!

The belt I replaced was M169485 but looking at the schematics, it appears this belt goes backwards towards the rear axle, not to the front pulley directly under the engine (the schematics show the grass discharge on the left side & my X580 it's on the right side as sitting on the tractor). So I either put the wrong belt on (it did have more play than I expected) or I'm reading the schematics wrong...

The ((P)) & a gear w/ a box around it (right above the P) lights on the instrument cluster are flashing also.

Last edited: