JD X485

/ JD X485 #1  

buckeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-40
A local dealer here has an John Deere X485 with 480 hours for sale for $5,700. It has a 62" deck. Overall, it looks okay with the scratches you would expect for something with 480 hours. The previous owner was a school that has the dealer perform all the maintenance at the specified intervals.

This is a little more tractor than I need, with really an LT180 or something being fine for what I need. But the X485 is really nice and this looks in okay shape. What do you all think?

/ JD X485 #2  
Even though the dealer did the maintenance on it, I would be skeptical as to who was driving it. You never drive a work vehicle or the like as it were your own. Gerard

/ JD X485 #3  
Buckeye,
The money for the tractor doesn't sound too bad, and a school is better than a cemetery as a previous owner!
How is the deck? belt look ok?
If they were to bring it in, and have all the deck bearings etc checked.... and you were able to verify services,, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Maybe you can get them to put new blades and a belt on the deck, and make sure the transmission is serviced with new fluid and filter..

As a homeowner, you probably won't put more than 40 or 50 hrs a year,, which would give you many many years of good service from that X485.

Not to mention you get the big deck!
That'll mow some serious grass in a hurry.

Let us know how you make out..

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ JD X485 #4  
I see you have a NH. The 485 sounds good, a little concern about who/how it was operated at the school, but they are a pretty tough machine. Going back to the NH, do you need another "tractor" mower? Have you tried the "Z" track? I have a 445/54bagger and a 757/60. I like the cut both give, but when I'm loking to cut alot fast, the 757 does it better. Just a thought. If the 757/60 is too big just downsize to one of the smaller models. No matter how you slice it, once you get the zero turn cutting technique down it just seems like the right way to cut grass. Of course, if you need the tractor for its attachment flexibility, that a different story.

/ JD X485
I decided to get the X485. After reviewing it with my Dad and testing it out, it seemed to be a good deal. They will deliver it this week.

I really looked at a ZTR. I used one extensively on my Father-In-Law's farm and felt for pure grass mowing, they are the only way to go. But, I want the X485 to do some smaller chores in addition to mowing grass. Something to do that the TC40 seems to big for, etc.

BTW, I love my TC40. It is a great tractor, but I got tired of compacting my lawn near the house, not to mention it is a little hard to maneuver in an efficient fashion around the house.

Thanks for you responses.

/ JD X485 #6  
congrats on your new ride!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ JD X485 #7  
Enjoy your new X485.

I smile everytime I climb on mine!

Maintenance point - After blowing the grass off my X485 off, I pull it in the garage and plug in a cig adapter (connected to a trickle charger) into the 12v power plug outlet to the right of the seat. Flip the switch to "1" and the battery is charged while it is parked.

/ JD X485
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out.