JD X300 Starter problems

/ JD X300 Starter problems #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I have a 2010 JD X 300 with Kawasaki engine, I am having to try several times to get the starter to engage, when I turn the ignition I get nothing not even a click but if I try several times it will start. I have taken off the starter and lubed the spiral gear on the solenoid and I know the battery is good. Can you rebuild these starters? A new JD starter is priced out of sight !! Are there any good after market starters out there to get?

I welcome any input, thanks.

/ JD X300 Starter problems #2  
I'm not familiar with that exact model, but I do know that some JD mowers use starters that don't use Bendix gears, rather they use a solenoid with an arm to "throw" the gear up to engage the flywheel. That arm is controlled by the neutral safety switch, rather than the main ignition. So if you have a dying switch that could cause those symptoms.

/ JD X300 Starter problems #3  
No click nothing sounds like you may not be getting a signal to the starter. Can you check to see if you are getting voltage to the starter when you turn the key? JD used different circuit boards / safety interlocks. If these safety items are not being met the starter circuit will not be enabled.

Typically you don't want a lube on the spiral gear due to lube being a dirt magnet.

/ JD X300 Starter problems #4  
Did you bench test the starter while you had it out? I would check for positive voltage at the solenoid, my X300R you have to be in the seat, PTO off, brake pedal depressed for it to turn over,,,, so there is more to it than the starter, it could be the seat switch, brake switch, PTO switch/associated logic, keyswitch, solenoid, bad connections etc.

/ JD X300 Starter problems
Thanks for the replies, My problem seems to be more of an intermittent problem, sometimes it starts on the first try when I turn the key, then other times I get nothing, no even a click and a few more tries and it starts. I keep the brake on and am sitting down on the mower and I do not have a PTO and I have the blade switch disengaged. Forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what is meant by Bendix gears. I know that my starter has a gear on top that spirals upwards on what I would call a worm gear to engage the fly wheel. Is that a Bendix type? I have not bench checked it yet either. I'll keep snooping and investigate some of the suggestions offered.

Thanks again for the input.

/ JD X300 Starter problems #6  
What you're describing does sound like a bendix gear starter.

Intermittent problems are a bear.

/ JD X300 Starter problems #7  
So an X300 can have either a starter with the solenoid piggybacked on the starter or mounted seperately at the right rear of the engine block. What do you have? Not sure, post the serial number from the frame tag above the front tire. Most commonly the solenoid is the weak link when you have no noise at all. To keep from jumping off a cliff, start with cleaned, secured battery terminals on a load tested / confirmed good battery. Testing is based on what system you have.