JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #1  

billybob555

Need some help please.
Was mowing my lawn yesterday everything was fine .
I pressed the clutch/brake pedal to stop, then released it and the tractor would not move. Crawled underneath and the drive belt looks intact. The mower has served me well for the past 10 years.

Thanks
Billy

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #2  
this is a manaul transmission right?
when you put it in nutral and let the clutch out does the belt spin on the pulleys? does it turn the pulley on top of the transaxle?
Are you sure the tranny is going into gear. maybe some of the linkage for the stick has come undone and isnt changing it out of nutral?
do you get any jerks when you let the pedal out?
ive got more ideas of what it could be but look through them first, each one is less likely though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #3  
Billy,

I have the same thoughts/questions as Mith.
I did have a similar situation on a different make of tractor. It ended up being the key in the rear transaxle. Everything forward of the transaxle appeared to be working fine but there was nothing to the tires.

Where does the mower get its power on that tractor? On mine, they were belt driven off the rear transaxle as well and therefore it didn't work either.

Brian

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #4  
Usually the blades are driven from the engone crankshaft below the drive pulley.
The woodruffe keys was another idea, btu if that was the case bhe brake probably wouldnt be working either!
Im not familiar with these particualr tractors, just using my knowlege from what i work with.

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev
Thanks to all that replied.
I took the mower assembly off and can see that the drive belt
is pinched between the pulley and support. It is jammed and will not move.

I can see the problem but now I need some help in how to take off the pulley. I tried to turn the bolt with a wrench
but it wouldn't budge. I'm scared to use too much force.

Any more suggestion?????

Billy

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #6  
Billy,

Again, I don't have that tractor but a couple thoughts.
Where is the pully that it's jammed? Engine, transaxle or ??

If the belt was loose, could you get it of where it is currently pinched? If so, follow the belt around its path. Maybe there is an idler pulley or another pulley that can be released or removed so there is no tension on the belt.

If no other pulley to remove, we'll need to know what the problem pulley is mounted to.

Brian

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #7  
Did the belt get badly damaged (scraped/gouged) by being wedged? If it's already looking iffy - might be easier to get a new one and just cut and hack the old one away rather than fight the pulley.

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #8  
I would plan on replacing the belt. 10 years is a good life and it might be worn and that could have cuased your current problem with the belt being pinched/jammed.
Ben

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #9  
Tim and Ben,

I was going to mention that but without something being loosened (i.e. idler pulley), can he get a new one on?

Brian

/ JD STX38 5-Speed Will not travel in forward or rev #10  
I was going to mention that but without something being loosened (i.e. idler pulley), can he get a new one on?
//
Zoom, I doubt if he can change the belt without taking several things loose. I am not familiar with that machine, but drive belts are usually a pain (literally) to change on riders.
Ben