JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #1  

KeyserSoze

Newbie here. I am in the market for a new lawn tractor. I am considering the John Deere L118 and the Cub Cadet 1050. I will be using it mostly to mow about a flat acre with some trees and landscaping areas (more than a few but less than a lot) to mow around.

Both mowers are $2K but you seem to get a little more for the money with the Cub. The Cub has more HP and a larger deck but I would like to get some opinions from some of you on the quality of these mowers and recommendations on which would be a better buy.

Also if there are any other mowers in this same class that I should consider please let me know.

I know these tractors are the low end for JD and CC but my budget won't let me go up to the better quality tractors.

Thanks.

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #2  
Call me Kubayashi. My neighbor has the predecessor to the JD L118 (I think it's an L110?), and I tried it once. It was a nice mower, smooth quiet engine and a pretty tight turning radius. Can't comment on the Cub. (Didn't you post something like this at Garden Web?)

Welcome to TBN, Kaiser! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please
It wasn't me that posted on Garden Web. This is the first forum that I found on tractors and it seems that it has plenty of traffic so I posted my question here. But thanks for the heads up. I will go find the Garden Web forum and find out what people had to say there about my options.

Thanks Kubayashi. Keyser knew he could count on you.

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #4  
The L118 is a little different than the L110. Last years L118 had a 20 HP Briggs. The L110 had a single cylinder Kohler. This year the L110 has been discontinued and the L111 has the 20 HP Briggs and this years L118 has a 22 HP Briggs. All are good machines. I just purchased a new left over L118 and think I will really enjoy using it. Don't know too much about the Cub other than it is an MTD product. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #5  
I bought a l118 abought a year ago my neiber has acub cadet he likes mine better /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #6  
They are both very similar in capabilities. Which one will be easier to get serviced? Which one is more comfortable for you to operate? Offers the right amount of leg room, belly room (if needed), has the controls where you can easily reach them? Which one has the easiest to remove mower deck for maintenance? That's the one you want.

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #7  
I am not advocating any one but I am in the same boat you are. I have looked at Sears, JD & Cub Cadet. In consumer report the JD had a great rating and the cub cadet was on the bottom of the list. I hope this helps. I will probably buy the JD.

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #8  
....IMHO, Consumer Reports is in left-field half the time...I would take their analysis with a grain of salt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ JD L118 or Cub Cadet 1050? Opinions please #9  
They are both lowish to mid level mowers. Much better than standard MTD and Murray junk but neither is really worthy of the JD or pre-MTD Cud Cadet name. As it stands now they are about the same quality as any AYP product. (Poulan Pro, Craftsman, Husqvarna) So go with whichever one is the easiest to service and most comfortable for you. And FWIW a good close dealership is a big plus.

I recently did a review of all of the mowers mentioned in this post and dollar for dollar, feature for feature the Craftsman came out on top. The biggest downside to the Craftsman is the lack of a real dealer network.

Good luck and happy shopping! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif