JD diesel fule injection pumps?

/ JD diesel fule injection pumps? #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I have 1971 john Deere 4000 tractor, (striped down 4020)

it has approx. 10,000 hours on it original pump was fixed, I am guessing about 4000 hours, (did not know about the fuel tank drain and got water in the pump was the needed fix, I do not remember what they replaced,

I up graded the filters and learned to drain the water out of the tank,

but that besides now,

I am having some governor issues, and I am guessing the head is wore as well, the way it starts some days, or does not start,

any why I see places that "fix" your pump, and places that say they rebuild your pump, to like new specifications,

and prices ranging from $1020, the high end (John Deere) part SE500559.
On most ranging in the $700 to $800 for what they call rebuild, the high to $330 on the low, send them your pump,
(yes I know the $330/$400 is a fix it place), and will call if more work is needed, (I do not want to pay for pie in the sky either)

THE QUESTIONs

ONE Does JD do a better job of rebuilding? or are they just charging you because it is green?

I like the idea of going in pickup up the pump coming home and replacing it that afternoon and not be down for a few weeks,

most of the other places I have called do not have a pump on the shelf, and they say send me mine and they will rebuild for $800,

I found two places one $330 and the other About $400 labor and to replace the normal wear items and gaskets, and if more they will call, I asked what if more is needed and they said add about $300 for most worst case, if it is not stuck, mine is still operational, but like I said it most likey needs a head, or $700/$800 worth of work, but do not know for sure,

I would think with 6000 hr, if not 10,000 hours it would need to complete parts kit of all moving parts,

what would you do, and do you think JD does a better more complete job? (they claim they do)

the original pump is a JDB633AL2402 AR50146

/ JD diesel fule injection pumps? #2  
Myself, I think I would opt to go with a shop that specializes in injection pumps over a mechanic who may or may not be proficient in injection pumps. Also consider the warranty from both places.

/ JD diesel fule injection pumps? #3  
Also know that injector nozzles are wear items. If it were my tractor I would get the injectors tested. I will send my VW TDI injectors off sometime this summer to get new nozzles and balanced. Nerd stuff the balancing but I can send them back in a few years for a cleaning and balance test which makes the initial test a better value.

By the way the gasket kit for the injector pump in my car is $30 or so. All the electronic parts and mechanical parts cost a fortune inside.

Pop testing and spray pattern testing video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4E28hDgXCw

/ JD diesel fule injection pumps?
I replace the injectors ever few years any way, there the low cost pencil injectors about $40 to 50 each, and I replace them not that long ago and no change,

and I do have a injector tester and know some about what I am doing,

/ JD diesel fule injection pumps? #5  
On the fuel pump there should be a model number. Find that model number and it will be a lot easier to say what could be done.
For example, I have a 1969 JD450 crawler loader that has a diesel engine. I am pretty sure the model number for the fuel injection pump is a DBG. The engine is a four cylinder in line. I rebuilt the engine and still had a lope to it when idling. I checked the fuel pump drive shaft and it was badly worn. I shopped around and found a place in Texas that could provide me with the part needed for much less than I would have had to pay in Canada (where we are used to getting screwed on purchasing items). Found a repair manual for the fuel pump and decided I would try and rebuild the injection pump. Never done one of these before, so it was a bit of a gamble (have worked on diesels for years).
Anyway, to make the story short, the parts that needed replacing were the internal priming pump (Vane kit required with new springs) and all the "O" ring seals. Got it done and the old JD450 runs really good now - the engine part that is - the hydraulic arms very sloppy especially with a full bucket.
Anyhow, check and clean the fuel pump up and see if you can find the pump model and also the engine model. If you can and you feel comfortable with working on it, maybe you can fix it for $50 or so instead of $1,000.
Check back and let us know how you made out.
HTH
Jim