JD 855 parts needed

/ JD 855 parts needed #1  

mitch_lojek

Tractor
mf 1010
I'm looking for some used parts for my 1988 jd compact. I need a used alternator and power steering cylinder.if anybody has these items or know where I may purchase them
please contact me.

/ JD 855 parts needed #2  
I can't help you with the power steering cylinder..try the dealer or get it rebuilt at a hydraulics shop. Unless the case or piston is cracked, rebuilding is a matter of replacing all the seals. That kit might be available at the dealer.

The alternator...I'd try an automotive alternator rebuild shop before I'd even consider using a used one.

/ JD 855 parts needed
roy,
the cylinder is a welded unit meant to be thrown away. cyl shop says they think they fix it but can't give me a definite price. having a hard time cross referencing model numbers at the auto parts store, but will keep plugging along. thanks

/ JD 855 parts needed #4  
Good luck on the steering cylinder. Have you looked at tractor salvage yards? I know there have been links posted on TBN.

As far as the alternator; rather then going to a parts store, try to find a shop that rebuilds them. Your local Yellow Pages phone book might help.

I guess the prices at your local Deere dealer are too expensive...?

/ JD 855 parts needed #5  
Mitch,
There is a guy in the Mount Pleasant Michigan area that rebuilds starters, generators and alternators. He is very reasonable does excellent work and has a great reputation for treating the customer right. He completely rebuilt my JD 2010 starter for around $80. Saved me a bundle of $ over buying a new one, he even gave it a fresh coat of JD green. It may be a little distance for you to commute and I do not know if he ships. If you are interested e-mail me and I will give you his contact information.
Farwell

/ JD 855 parts needed
roy,
I tried to have the alt rebuilt but it was completely shot. even the end castings were no good. if I find one that's needs to be rebuilt I would go from there.
thanks

/ JD 855 parts needed
as I told roy, the alt. is completely shot. there's nothing to rebuild.
mitch

/ JD 855 parts needed #8  
Mitch - I'm not real familiar with the 855, but I presume that the alternator, from past history, is a Delco system. If it is a Delco, you can go to your local automotive store and with the old alternator you can compare to 76-78 GM alternators. Should be about 49.95 with a life time warranty. If not an exact copy - should be easily wired in to your system. The mounting bracket would be the biggest problem to modify. I've been there and done that several times. the only thing is that the newer rebuilts are 55 amp units, and you may have to increase the wire size from the alternator battery terminal up through the ampmeter and back down to the starter battery connection. Piece of cake! Hope this helps - Yugo

/ JD 855 parts needed
hi yugo,
the alternator is a nippondenso. took the alt to the auto parts store,told me nothing would fit. never even looked. what a bummer.
mitch

/ JD 855 parts needed #10  
i would just do as said before and take it to a alt and starter rebuilder. i have a another question for you. I just bought a 755 john deere that didnt come with 3pt links( the 3pt is the same as a 855). is there any way you can give me a measurement of the lower link arms hole to hole and the arms that lift the lower link arms? any help would be appreciated