JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD

/ JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD #1  

sriddle1

Silver Member
Tractor
ACTIVE: JDX730 DAYS GONE BY: JD3010, JD790, JD425
I'm looking at the 790 in the JD Parts Catalog, in specific the Instrument Panel (790001 -). Since I can't find a picture I believe it's PN: LVU801663 "GAUGE" that contains the Hour Meter. I see the assembly is a plug & play, just wanted to be sure that's all their is to it and that nothing mechanical is involved. What does the hour meter measure or I should say, where is that impute coming from that drives the meter. THANKS

/ JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD #2  
I am surprised that it's not a simple mechanical cable. I never had to deal with any issues on mine. If not that, usually a magnetic sensor on the timing chain cover that counts the teeth. Had that go on my other JD.

Did they update the instrument panel to have an electronic Hourmeter?

/ JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD #3  
Parts shows a cable, and is part # LVU804125 which as I see it is named "tachometer cable" at the Green Parts store.

And in the service tech manual for the 790, states
4. Disconnect wiring connectors and hour meter cable.

I suspect it will be more obvious when you dive into the instrument panel removal chore.

/ JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD
I'm back to the 790, thanks for the response, where does that cable connect to on the engine, I'll have to see if it's broken, disconnected or what..... Everything else on the cluster works... THANKS

/ JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD #5  
@sriddle1, where are you at with your replacement of that cable? I have a JD750 that I did the same repair on, and can snap a pic of the cable at the engine end, or take a pic of the diagram in my manual. Let me know!

You getting some of this snow we're getting here in NW MA?

/ JD 790 Hour Meter in Cluster.....DEAD
@sriddle1, where are you at with your replacement of that cable? I have a JD750 that I did the same repair on, and can snap a pic of the cable at the engine end, or take a pic of the diagram in my manual. Let me know!

You getting some of this snow we're getting here in NW MA?

Thanks for the note, No I haven't addressed it, my 11 year old "Smiley" (Bull Terrier) became gravely ill with Lung Cancer and despite taking him to Tuft's Cummings Vet Medical Center outside of Boston, Oncology for animals is still pretty privative, not much money for research....Sadly we said goodbye on 10-27-19 at 10:45AM. I haven't been thru a dog loss before, man it's rough, that crazy dog wrapped himself around my wife and I very tight, we did everything together, for us it was all about him, brings tears to my eyes just writing this but we did get him properly buried by his favorite play area where he watched Mallards in a pond, Turkeys and Deer passing thru...

SNOW - Yup, we got our first shot of about 12 inches last night and more to come says Boston 25.

CABLE - Yes if you could send me the information I'll tackle it in the not so distant future, I haven't been under the instrument cluster to look around. Just got to mounting the JD59 Front End Snow Blower and heading out right now...?. I have the complete instruction on installing the Front Mount Smow blower if you need it. THANKS

Attachments

• IMG_7094 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7094 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 89