JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #1  

hodge

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 John Deere 790
A woman in my church, has a 2000 790 with loader and #7 backhoe. She wants to sell the backhoe, and has no idea how to go about it. She's asked for help, so
I told her I would figure out some approximate values for the backhoe, subframe parts, and the power beyond kit, and she can then decide what she wants to ask for
the package.
I've spent some time online looking (which I'm fairly good at), but I've only been able to find out what the power beyond cost back in the day. So, I can use any advice/input on a reasonable value for the pieces. She is a fair person, and isn't shooting for the moon. At the same time, I don't want to provide her with lowball price estimates.
Thanks for any help that you can give!

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #2  
Sometimes you do get more money by parting something out. Always thought it unwise to sell a tractor with an implement if you want the most money. Easier to find a buyers to buy 5000 stuff then find ones with 15000.

Or make the deal for the tractor and then mention you have a backhoe for it. Kind of dirty! lol But no mistake as to how much you are getting for what.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #3  
I'd keep the power beyond too...
That will run other implements besides a backhoe...log splitters come to mind. But any implement requiring hydraulics and has it's own controls (for the hydraulics) can run off a power beyond.
I also agree...better to sell the tractor as a TLB and go for something newer. Even old 790's (had one, but no backhoe) can bring in a nice amount of money.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #4  
Still think someone with an old 770 or 790 will pay way more for the hoe alone than when in a package.

Besides, that's a good solid YANMAR tractor. No telling what junk it might be replaced with. And if seldom used, the cost to sell and buy new wouldn't make sense.

But yes, (had a 770) the tranny is terrible to use. With a little practice, you can shift on the fly and it is nice zooming down the road without the terrible whine of a hydro.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help
Any price thoughts? Her husband has a family member, who is interested in it. Don't know what the family member has for a tractor, or how much they know.
She only uses the loader for snow removal, and the 3 point for a bush hog. That won't change. She isn't looking to sell the tractor, or part anything out. She just wants
an idea on the value of the backhoe and related parts.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I'll say it like it is- she's not asking for advice on whether she should sell it or how. She's asking me, who knows more about tractors than she or
her (new) husband does, about a fair price to ask. So, I'm only looking for input on prices- not alternatives.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #6  
What shape is it in? Is a 7 still made? Then get a current price and say half of that, in good shape. Maybe 60% of new if prestine, tight and everything is there. If it's ugly, weathered and abused maybe 30-40% of new.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #7  
I had a #48 backhoe on a 4520...came with the tractor.
I put it on CL for $3500 and it was gone (full price) within a week.
I'm not sure what the #7 fits...790's and 770's, of course. Maybe 855's and 955's...all 80's to 90's vintage tractors.
That said, I'd ask $3K and see what kind of responses you get. Try CL, of course and Search Tempest.
I think the biggest problem is this may only fit 80's and 90's vintage tractors, except for the 790's. Now, the 790 evolved in to the 3005...don't think that's still being sold, but IIRC, they were manufactured as late as the 2010's

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #8  
i would agree on $3500 as a good ballpark number, but... in my opinion it is only sell-able at the best price to the person who has the exact tractor since as was mentioned earlier, the sub frames will almost always be different for each model. I just recently parted with my 770 with loader and (woods) backhoe and ended up getting a slightly larger tractor and in the search for a backhoe it turned out that a used one had to be really cheap to make it worthwhile. by the time you added in the sub frame kit and hoses & fittings it was nearly the new cost to adapt a lightly used hoe at the prices people were asking. though, i'm sure there are a lot of people who won't do the research up front and will buy now and figure that out later.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #9  
If the power beyond is removed, there are parts that need to be added back to close the hydraulic circuit, I know because I added power beyond back in the early 2000's to my 790.

/ JD 790 backhoe (JD 7), subframe, and power beyond pricing help #10  
A woman in my church, has a 2000 790 with loader and #7 backhoe. She wants to sell the backhoe, and has no idea how to go about it. She's asked for help, so
I told her I would figure out some approximate values for the backhoe, subframe parts, and the power beyond kit, and she can then decide what she wants to ask for
the package.
I've spent some time online looking (which I'm fairly good at), but I've only been able to find out what the power beyond cost back in the day. So, I can use any advice/input on a reasonable value for the pieces. She is a fair person, and isn't shooting for the moon. At the same time, I don't want to provide her with lowball price estimates.
Thanks for any help that you can give!
Hello Hodge, Did the woman in your church ever sell the backhoe?