JD 770 Dies when put in gear.

/ JD 770 Dies when put in gear. #1  

toni45

Tractor
John Deer 770 compact
Hello my favorite tractor peeps. My newest issue after replacing the fuel shut-off solenoid, relay moduel and and all the seals on the hydraulic cylinders I find that the tractor now starts properly but dies when put into gear. My father whom we inherited the tractor from had cut the seat safety switch to override prior to all the reports and it was working fine. I'm wondering if after repairing the relay if it now needs this switch to be reattached in some way or of it could be something else. Any suggestions.

/ JD 770 Dies when put in gear. #2  
Hello my favorite tractor peeps. My newest issue after replacing the fuel shut-off solenoid, relay module and and all the seals on the hydraulic cylinders I find that the tractor now starts properly but dies when put into gear. My father whom we inherited the tractor from had cut the seat safety switch to override prior to all the reports and it was working fine. I'm wondering if after repairing the relay if it now needs this switch to be reattached in some way or of it could be something else. Any suggestions.
Do you have the manual?
TM1470 Technical Shop Manual 670 770 790 870 970 1070.pdf
This has the schematics you would need to correct the problem and a the trouble shoot section to eliminate issues too.

/ JD 770 Dies when put in gear.
I do have the manuel. I'm going to follow the wires today, I'm thinking it's either the neutral or pto that was cut. It's just frustrating. My father had this thing so rigged up I probably should have just left it.

/ JD 770 Dies when put in gear. #4  
I do have the manuel. I'm going to follow the wires today, I'm thinking it's either the neutral or pto that was cut. It's just frustrating. My father had this thing so rigged up I probably should have just left it.
Likely pto or seat safety switch the culprit, I'd check seat switch first and its wiring. I developed an intermittent problem on my 1070 years ago that turned out to be the seat safety switch plunger - From seat bouncing, it had developed a thinned area with an abrupt change to the original diameter that would sometimes catch and support the plunger from plunging, and act like I was off the seat, where it was supposed to slide. Lifting the seat and moving the plunger by hand didn't expose the problem. Disassembly and inspection did. Difficult troubleshooting but easy fix. The switch itself was fine electrically, but the operating plunger rod had worn. It started showing up when mowing on a sidehill - the tractor would just totally cut out while running fine. And occured only when in gear or with pto engaged. If your Dad didn't remove the seat safety switch and/or its wiring, I'd start there, and I would not bypass it. It works fine at 2700 hours use. To run an implement with the pto while off the seat you can lift the seat and just pull the plunger up. The plunger problem showed up at about 1700 hours.

/ JD 770 Dies when put in gear. #5  
Check the battery ground cable.

My dad put an offer market seat on and cut the safety switch. Any way of bypassing this? I'm assuming this what caused all my problems and why everything was rigged, and burned out.

20230319_113856.jpg

Found something was jumped.
20230319_120106.jpg
20230319_120051.jpg

Screenshot_20230318-201909_Drive~2.jpg

I appreciate everyone's advice and help. So far it has helped me tremendously and almost everyone is spot on in their advise. This is not something I have ever done before nor would have thought about attempting but when money is tight we learn to try and repair things on our own. I'm sure it would have taken a man afew hours to repair. That being said is the first picture for the safety switch and the picture of the bypass for the pto switch. I'm looking at the schematic but I don't think the colors are matching up. How would the tractor work without the safety switch just being cut? I have to be missing something else.