JD 5103 steering cylinder

/ JD 5103 steering cylinder #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
My steering cylinder on my JD 5103 is leaking bad, more like spraying. The JD dealer says there's no seal kit available and that it's a throw away cylinder. It's the double-ended cylinder just like this: John Deere Cylinder-steering RE247592 | eBay

The dealer lists the cylinder around $800 - $1200. A hydraulic repair shop said they can re-seal it for $95/hr plus parts, but are 2 weeks out.

Any leads on replacement aftermarket cylinders? Or seal kits for this cylinder? I've found where one listing shows it requires a RE246863 seal kit, but that kit alone is $340?

Any help is greatly appreciated. As of now, I have it taken off the tractor, but needing to get one tie rod end off still. I've replaced all the seals on the FEL and somewhat familiar with hydraulics, but finding a kit has been my problem.

/ JD 5103 steering cylinder #2  
Strip the cyl down to individual parts, walk in to your local hyd shop with the seals in hand and the rest of the parts in a box (in case they need to size up a groove ect), walk out with your seal kit and get after it.

/ JD 5103 steering cylinder
I contacted the local JD dealer again and was told they do have a seal kit for $157.00. I contacted the hydraulic shop and they said they've never carried that particular seal kit so they would just order from John Deere then mark it up. I got a seal kit from local JD, took it home and was shorted 2 o-rings. Thinking nothing of it, I re-used the o-rings and went on. Well, the cylinder is leaking and I've re-built several so I have confidence it was right. I contacted another JD dealer and come to find out they gave me the wrong seal kit, it was for a MFWD, not 2WD. The seal kit I need is also double the price.

I found an aftermarket cylinder that says it works with 5103 but the pictures don't match what I have and may be for the MFWD. Anyone have luck with an aftermarket cylinder for a John Deere 5103 2WD?

/ JD 5103 steering cylinder #4  
both the first JD guy and for sure the hydraulic shop is just plain lazy, no to get the right parts the first time. A good hydraulic shop can look up and get the aftermarket seals witch are just as good or better than JDs just too lazy to look them up.