JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I found a 4410 diesel w/430 loader and 6 foot bucket and eHydro trans for sale locally.
Can't read the hours since its a digital hour meter and no display when off.

Sitting out by curb for sale, no one home to talk to when I stopped. No info on sign just "for sale".

So quick walk around I see the front tires are 75% gone, rears are R4s and not in bad shape.
No leaks I can see just sitting there, but no signs of leaks at any hoses connections or on cylinder seals.

Has fold-over ROPS, small crack in corner of seat, all lights and dash instrumentation looks to be in decent shape and operable, but I'll find out Tuesday when I get to go back there and check it out.

In the mean time I'm wondering if anyone can give me some idea of weak points to check over such as the MFWD and opinions on the eHydro tranny and other features of this tractor. On tractordata I see this model was made for 3 years, 2002 - 2004.

So what's a fair price for this here in the NE (PA, NJ, DE) ?

I'd like to get something newer than my 78 Ford, and the move to diesel I want to make also.

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I'd let you know how I make out on test driving the tractor this afternoon
but since there appears to be little interest why bother.

As you were.

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #3  
I had a 2002 4310 which similar to the current 3320. Great tractor, it was 31hp and there were a couple times where I would have wanted a little more so the 4410 should be fine in that area. No issues with it. The 10 series added e-hydro. I have driven tractors all my life and there are times where a gear tractor is better suited, but for overall performance, ease of use, and resell the hydro is the way to go.

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #4  
I have a 4310 with almost 1000 hrs. As for weak spots, there are not many. I am personally disappointed with the way the loader arms connect to the mounts on the tractor, but there are a few threads on how to fix that. The fuel gauges on all the 4x10 series are all inaccurate. Mine never reads full. Reads about 7/8 full to the top. Give it a good look over and check the condition on all the fluids. Even the front axle. During the test "drive" check to make sure the lights work, all the hydro ranges work correctly, check for excessive smoke, make sure the front MFWD engages. As for price, it really depends on condition and hrs. The only real option that you might need is mid PTO. My guess would be for a tractor and loader in the 800 hr range would be 10 to 13,000. Use the front tire wear as a chip to beat him up on the price.

Sorry for the slow response, I cannot get on every night.

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #5  
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I'd let you know how I make out on test driving the tractor this afternoon
but since there appears to be little interest why bother.

As you were.

Can't always expect answers, Brother...and most current TBNer's may not have experience with olde Deeres.

That said, the 4410 tractor is a pretty solid machine with 35 engine HP and 28-29 PTO HP (the hydro reduces the PTO HP slightly).
It should start easily (most Yanmar engines do) and little, if any smoke. The exhaust is down low near the left front axle.
The loader...check for looseness. Since it's a QA loader, it will be a little loose, but the masts (the uprights that mount to the tractor) should stay in place. If they are loose, the mounting brackets can be built up with a bit of weld...not an overly uncommon repair on the 430 loader.
With the engine at idle and the loader bucket flat on the ground, push the joy stick to dump. This should lift the front of the tractor easily.
The range lever is about 25-30 inches in length to where it enters the transmission case. The lever will be a bit springy (like a VW Beetle shift lever) but it should go into all three ranges. This, if you buy the 4410, is something you want to keep well lubricated (I use Fluid Film liberally).
If you haven't yet, increase the RPM to 1500 (I always idle my 4400 at 1500 once the oil light goes out) and select "A" range, then push on one of the hydro pedals and see how the machine pulls. I'm not a hydro guy, but mashing the hydro pedal is not what you want to do. A smooth press about halfway down will do nicely. The tractor must be stopped to change ranges.
Yanmar engines are good for several thousand hours. I know of two Deeres, one a 4300, the other a 4310; that are pushing 5000 hours and still going strong. My 4400 just went over a thousand hours and is still strong and uses no oil.
As far as the PTO...there are some differences between the 4400 and 4410, so I'm not going to go into that. There are also differences in the electrical system, so I'd best not go there either.

I reckon by the time your read this, you've already seen the tractor (if it was still there). Good machines, and if you like it...don't dwaddle about. I expect it will sell pretty quickly.

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave me some pointers on what to look for on this model tractor.
Not being that familiar with JD or for that matter any newer ag tractors such *** this 4410 with HST trans
I didn't know what to look for.

I did look at it the other day and we worked out a price. I left not making the purchase as I wanted to think
on it for a day or so adn do a little more research after having had a chance to briefly operate it.

Went back yesterday and brought it home. World of difference from what I am used to (70s Ford or my TC25).
I like the 430 loader and its easy detatch. No messing with parking stands just disconnect and back up, then
uncouple the hoses. Has a mid and rear PTOs, rear hydraulics, motion-match, load-match, std cruise control.
I also got a PHD200 with 9" auger in the deal. with less than 900 hours I think it has plenty of life in it and
will last me a long time. With the easy on/off loader I may even sell the TC25 and just have one tractor.

I'd like to be able to use my Bobcat attachments, especially the forks, on the 4410. Is there an adapter that
will connect to the loader arms and mate up with Bobcat quick-tach system.

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #7  
Yes there are adapters out there to convert deere quick attach to bobcat hookup. I don't have any more info but if you Google it a bit you will find information. Other members should have more insight on this. I run Deere attachments

John

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #8  
Did you get the operator's manual with the 4410?

Here's a link to the Deere manual. You can't download it as a .pdf file, but you can print it out page by page.
OMLVU13193_H2

You can do a bit of reading to get familiar with your tractor.

Thanks for that link Roy. That will be helpful.

Sorry, meant to take some photos today but forgot.
I'll post some tomorrow.

/ JD 4410 w/loader - what to look for when buying used #10  
Thanks for that link Roy. That will be helpful.

Sorry, meant to take some photos today but forgot.
I'll post some tomorrow.

This manual should still be available through a Deere dealer...the 430 manual should be as well.
If you expect to keep this machine for years, both would be worthwhile purchases.
If you want to do it the hard way, you can print out each page as a .pdf file (free pdf printer drivers are all over the internet) and save it electronically.
Deere may not leave this manual on their website for eternity, so I suggest you do print a hard copy or the .pdf.
Or, of course, buy the manuals.
If you expect to do most of your own maintenance, a service manual would be worthwhile too. The paper copies are expensive, but the CD-ROM versions aren't too bad as far as cost.