JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #1  

Garrettk

Tractor
JD 4310
My father owned a John Deere 4310 Tractor and a 59 inch Snowblower. Years ago he went through the steps to start the tractor and then engage the snowblower and was pretty emphatic about the specific steps for engaging the snowblower. Unfortunately, cancer stole him, and I don't remember the steps to operate the snowblower. It is already attached to the tractor, so that is not a problem.

Does anyone here know the steps, and can take the time to type them up so I can avoid braking anything when the snow starts to blow this winter?

I appreciate any help that can be provided.

Garrett

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #2  
Welcome to TBN
I have the 4300, but the 4310 with some more "computer" electronics may be different.

(described this backwards, so deleted a line)

Correction: The mid PTO needs to be engaged first to connect to the main PTO, then the clutch for on/off operates the main PTO.

Last edited:
   / JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #3  
Welcome to TBN!

You might want to start by downloading the operator manual for the tractor. The Deere site doesn't allow me to link directly to the manual. Start at Search for Equipment Publications - Technical Information Store. Type in 4310 and hit enter or click on the magnifying glass icon. Then select North America by tractors. It's the bottom choice. There are two different manuals depending on your serial number. The serial number is located on the right side of the frame behind the front axle. The tractor operator manual is a free download. Click on the down arrow by the correct manual for your serial number.

Next click on the attachments manuals. Hit CTR+F and type in "snow". Each time you hit enter it will take you to the next entry for the word "snow". On my search the 59" 2 stage snow blower was the second entry. They only give you a free preview of the index. The manual for the snow blower has to be purchased. They don't offer a free download like they do for the tractor. They show a cost of $43.13 to download it.

I don't have any experience with snow blowers. Is this mounted on the front or rear?

Last edited:
   / JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #4  
TractorGuy
Do you have the mid PTO, and if so, use it for an attachment?

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #5  
No my 4310 only has a rear PTO. The mid was optional. I have no need for the mid anyway.

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #6  
TG
Might the sequence/switches be described in your operators manual for the OP's mid PTO operation?
Maybe the OP can give s/n and if gear or HST tranny to help out with more information.

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #7  
Is the blower mounted on the front or the rear? If it is on the front then you have a mid-pto. Sequence is pull yellow knob most forward first to engage mid-pto then pull rear knob to actually engage the rear which the mid is connected to. All engage/disengage can be done then by just utilizing the rear knob.

If it is a rear mount snowblower it is just pulling the one yellow knob. Engage at around 1000 rpm and operate at 2300 where the RPM mark is on the tachometer.

The older 4300 had mechanical linkage but I'm pretty certain all the 4310's had pull knobs.

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower
Thanks for the help guys.

The blower is mounted on the front.

If I understand correctly, start the motor, engage the mid-pto, then engage the rear-pto.

I'll use the link provided above to get the owners manuals.

Thanks again.

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #9  
One other note. Amongst the manuals you will see options to purchase parts manuals.

Parts lookup is available online at JD parts so unless you just want a copy you don't need to buy parts manuals to look them up.

/ JD 4310 and 59 inch snowblower #10  
engage the PTO at idle RPMs, then throttle up. Otherwise you will be replacing shear pins .