JD 4300 oil

/ JD 4300 oil #2  
I run 15-40 in my 750. My manual gives a viscosity to air temp chart and does not specify a "certain viscosity period". You should have no problem with 15-40 (IMHO).

/ JD 4300 oil #3  
I just got back from buying what I need for my 50-hour service on my 4300, and the dealer recommended straight 30-weight as long as I changed it before the cold weather hits. In the 4300 manual it says 30-weight is good from 32 to 120 degrees ambient temperature. What do you guys think? My plan was to wait until around the 300 service and then switch to synthetic. Is't that the usual recommendation.. run it for a while on regular oil before doing the switch?

Thanks,
Bob

/ JD 4300 oil #4  
"and the dealer recommended straight 30-weight as long as I changed it before the cold weather hits. In the 4300 manual it says 30-weight is good from 32 to 120 degrees ambient temperature. What do you guys think? My plan was to wait until around the 300 service and then switch to synthetic. Is't that the usual recommendation.. run it for a while on regular oil before doing the switch?"

The intent to not use a synthetic oil during break in of an engine is to ensure the rings seat. This also applies to a rebuilt engine. Synthetic oils are just too slippery...
I think synthetics are great. I just don't think they're worthwhile if you change oil every 3000 to 5000 miles. I thought about using it in a Porsche I owned, but I did change the oil every 3000-4000 miles (13 quarts, by the way...Porsche 911's are dry sump engines).
Also, for break-in, a non-detergent oil is reccomended.
If you think you'll get 50 or so hours in before the temperature goes lower then 32°, then use it, Bob.

However, I use 10W-30 all year....works fine for me.

The synthetics are great if you're going to extend the oil change interval. At 3 quarts for my 670...it really doesn't matter as far as cost.

It just depends upon your comfort level extending the change intervals.

I just prefer to change oil frequently to get rid of any impurities that may be in the lubrication system. Since the cost of synethtics is higher, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to go that route. Since the 670 is only 3 quarts, I may do it just for my comfort since 50 or so hours may be an entire season for me, including the winter. That's my comfort level. 3 quarts of synthetic may cost $15...maybe a worthwhile investment.