JD 425 Lift Linkage

/ JD 425 Lift Linkage #1  

sriddle1

Silver Member
Tractor
ACTIVE: JDX730 DAYS GONE BY: JD3010, JD790, JD425
Need some technical guidance with my JD425 regarding the Mower Deck Linkage. I've attached (1) page from the TM and (2) Pages from the JD Parts Catalog. Situation: One side of the mower deck was dragging and after inspection I found one of the ribbed ends of the Splined Mid-Lift Shaft had cracked in half. Purchased a used on EBay so I'm ready, I think....... I'll remove the Mower Deck before starting down this path, repeat after me, nothing's ever easy... On the 10-13 TM Page, under Procedure, #4 EXTEND, as in extend plunger away from the cylinder body? The lift function is on my steering column, so I'm thinking LIFT = extend. Next, no mention of the Deck Height knob adjustment, # 9 on parts listing, deck setting ? Should I wind all the way up (most height) or down before TM Procedure #10 measurements, etc. Any words on this would help, my 425 is two-wheel drive so 4.6-5.0 spacing I see. Looks like the Remove/Replace of the Mid-Lift shaft maybe not too hard (how funny), little to no written guidance on this in the JD TM1517 I purchased on CD several years ago (circa 99) on CD.......

Attachments

• JD425 LIFT LINKAGE EXCERPT.jpg
    JD425 LIFT LINKAGE EXCERPT.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 259
  • JD425 LIFT LINKAGE EXCERPT 1.jpg
    JD425 LIFT LINKAGE EXCERPT 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 269
  • JD425 LIFT LINKAGE EXCERPT 2.jpg
    JD425 LIFT LINKAGE EXCERPT 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
   / JD 425 Lift Linkage #2  
I'm thinking you will lower the "lift" function which you will do anyway when you remove your deck (after the deck wheels are lowered and turned 90 deg) but will raise them out of the way when you roll the deck out.
Also, you will wind the height setting all the way down so it is at full travel distance and not holding those lift arms up, for easier removal of those parts.
I've not done this task, but think if me, I'd find a way to lift the front end of the tractor in a near stand-up position to do that work, rather than try crawling around under it. But I'm old... :)

/ JD 425 Lift Linkage
beenthere,

Thanks for the response, I already have the deck off and moved to the side, just removed and replaced the old/problem Splined Mid-Lift Shaft. I have some regular portable ramps and I raised the rear of the 425 with a hydraulic jack then place the wheels on the ramp top, of course the ramps are facing away from the tractor, not under....very safe and secure....block under front tires + room to work. Underneath for about an hour futzing around, had to make a trip to JD Dealership for a sten-ken washer of all things, just want to do it right do no issues out in the field?

This is where my question comes-up, there is no information on whether the deck height knob #9 should be wound all the way counter-clockwise or clockwise before doing Procedure steps #09 or #10, maybe just doesn't make a difference, again trying to do this correctly.... I have the cylinder fully extended so figured that out, about to finish this up "as is", heck with the knob & deck height indicator...?..