JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions

/ JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions #1  

Walky

Tractor
425 JD
I have a 425 with 3-point hitch. I purchased a hydraulic tiller off CL last year and I think it came off of a 318 JD. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what components I need to make the hydraulic pump work on my 425. I think I need a mid PTO pump bracket so I can bolt the tiller pump to my frame and run it off of my normal mower deck PTO, but am unable to source this bracket. Also, the tiller is not set up for a 3-point hitch so I need to purchase brackets for that as well. Anyone's help would be much appreciated as spring is coming up quick. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1767 (1).JPG
    IMG_1767 (1).JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 986
   / JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions #2  
Welcome to TBN Walky,

Be patient and someone should be able to help you with this in the next few days. Curious if you had a rear pto on your 425?
I don't know about the 425 but I added the 3ph and rear pto to my x749 myself and the pto only took 30 minutes to do.

I used a Howard 60" tiller a few times with success but it was a little too big. I think a 48" would be a good fit though. By the time you get the parts gathered up and mods to the hitch I would wonder if you would not be better off with a 3ph mechanical tiller. A king kutter 48" or Deere 647 would be my choice.

Last edited:
   / JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions
Welcome to TBN Walky,

Be patient and someone should be able to help you with this in the next few days. Curious if you had a rear pto on your 425?
I don't know about the 425 but I added the 3ph and rear pto to my x749 myself and the pto only took 30 minutes to do.

I used a Howard 60" tiller a few times with success but it was a little too big. I think a 48" would be a good fit though. By the time you get the parts gathered up and mods to the hitch I would wonder if you would not be better off with a 3ph mechanical tiller. A king kutter 48" or Deere 647 would be my choice.

Thanks for the comments. I do not have a rear PTO on my 425. I heard hydraulic tillers work better than mechanical, but don't have experience myself.

/ JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions #4  
Thanks for the comments. I do not have a rear PTO on my 425. I heard hydraulic tillers work better than mechanical, but don't have experience myself.

Probably do work better if you have hefty enough hydraulics. But there is, I believe, a lot more engine power lost converting to hydraulics and back to rotation (pump to motor) whereas PTO is direct drive, so to speak.

/ JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions #5  
Congrats on your purchase. Is that a model 30 hydraulic tiller with the 12" extension? I have been looking for one locally for a while. Also, reading threads here and on WFM, all who have gone from the pto tiller to the hydro say the hydro is an animal compared to the pto tiller. At least on the 318. Did you get any parts with the tiller, brackets, rods?
The arms on that tiller were made to attach to the same pins where your 3pt arms attach to the tractor. A triangular bracket attached to the rock shaft with some rods hanging down to lift the tiller. A 3pt bracket was not needed on the tiller. This might be easier to adapt to your tractor than making a 3pt bracket.

image-4222399352.jpg

You will most likely have to modify the hydro pump bracket to fit your tractor. If you can't locate the pump pulley in the exact location of the mower deck pulley then the worst case is you will need a different size belt for roto-tilling.
Since this was for a 318, And I am not familiar with your tractor, the pulley you are using to drive the hydro pump pulley needs to be the same diameter as the front pto of the 318 so the pump spins at the proper rpm. I'm sure others with more knowledge of your tractor can help.

/ JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions #6  
Always thought the 425 was very similar to the 420, but after some research, I was very wrong, two very different machines. Didn't realize you have a mid pto and 540 rear.

/ JD 425 hydraulic tiller setup questions #7  
I heard hydraulic tillers work better than mechanical, but don't have experience myself.

I have used both hydraulic tiller on a 318 and a mechanical tiller on a 425. The mechanical tiller (JD 450) was much better. When the ground got hard, the hydraulic tiller was sent to the barn and the mechanical tiller did the job.