Buying Advice JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #11  
Power reverser and 4 x 3 gears is only way to get Economy PTO. This allows 540 PTO speed at lower engine RPM. Otherwise PR is useful during back & forth loader operations.

Last edited:
   / JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #12  
I’d recommend, without having tried it, the 4 x 3 transmission.
I have the 3 x 3 transmission. At times, low range reverse can be too slow, and mid range reverse can be too fast.
Then again working near buildings and fences low range can be fast too.
A 4 speed would offer a lot more reverse selections with the power reverser.

Last edited:
   / JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #13  
My old 1070 is the perfect tractor for a horse operation, not because of power needs (although I cut, rake, bale and pickup hay with it). The main reason is because you or someone less experienced will be able to drive it thru your horse barn's aisleways without knocking down the hangers, water hydrants and sliding doors. Too tall and you're going to get a head ache.

All I ever needed was a post hole digger, hay equipment, 8' tined rake for leveling areas and gravel driveway, an 8' snow plow, a 7' grooming mower used in the fields and pastures and a pto generator for far off welding and backup power. It has to be comfortable to operate by many more people than yourself: family, friends and helpers.

Boarders liked the hay operation because they knew exactly what their animals were eating (propionic acid free). That's a lot of money saved over the years.

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #14  
i had a 4720 and went up to the 5 series - 1. small front tires on the 4720 got stuck easier, lost traction in the snow easier, the weight of the 5 added stability and helped with the wider stance on hills and dips in the ground...hope this helps

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #15  
I’d recommend, without have tried it, the 4 x 3 transmission.
I have the 3 x 3 transmission. At times, low range reverse can be too slow, and mid range reverse can be too fast.
Then again working near buildings and fences low range can be fast too.
A 4 speed would offer more a lot more reverse selections with the power reverser.

Actually, you get 12 speeds reverse as 12 speeds forward with the power reverser.

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #16  
Actually, you get 12 speeds reverse as 12 speeds forward with the power reverser.

And that my friends is why it should be chosen.

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #17  
I own a 5525 JD with 4 by 3 trans with power reverser and economy pto. Really like that tractor and in process of selling it as stopping with farming. I have looked very carefully at about 60 hp in the JD 4066R and Kubota L6060 and Yanmar. I currently own two Kubota's and the best tractor I ever operated by far has been my JD 5525.

NOW JD has two 4000 and 5000 series or models of each. In the 4000 the M is the more basic and thus lower price. In the 5000 series the E is lower price/basic one. From what I have heard and hear the JD 5000 "E" model is, well a low quality tractor. Have had a JD dealer I greatly respect tell me it is, "A PRICE POINT MODEL" which I understood was hp for cheap price and that was it. No doubt there are many 5000 E owners who are pleased with their tractor but can tell you search MACHINEFINDER.com and you will find many 5000 E tractors for sale. Local Kubota dealer had two that were less than two years old on his lot this winter. The other 5000 JD you will find few for sale used.

I have been searching in the about 60 hp range for smaller tractor than my 5525 due to stopping farming and want lighter tractor for working in yards and tight places with smaller frame. Look at what you will be doing work wise. Know what implements you will need and find out what hp they need and work backwards. Smaller tractor often can mover quicker and in tighter places but may not be able to handle as big a task as you may need to do. Too big a rig is waste of money and time...takes more to haul them and set up. Have a friend who farmed row crops and so did I. In large fields his big rigs would run past me but in smaller fields I could work faster than he could. You need to know your needs as much as possible before you buy.

Hope you well in your venture.

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #18  
Have you looked at the New Holland workmaster 55,65,75 cab tractors? Nice heavy built tractors, lots of standard options you pay extra for on Deere. Less money too. I have owned them all. It all comes down to your local dealer and service. Save a little going farther away to purchase but pay for it later if you need service. The only thing I caution on the 4 series John Deere is they have a lot of lifting power for a lighter frame tractor. They are also narrow which makes them tippy. Wheel spacers help. I have owned 4 4 series tractors. Very reliable and did everything I needed to do. If you are 50 acres and under I would say 4066r will be just fine. If you are bigger and doing hay baling etc. go with the bigger tractor. Get the cab. The door is not too much inconvenience opening to get in and out of. Especially when you are freezing your *** off or just ran over a yellow jacket nest brush hogging. That痴 my 2 cents. Good luck.

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors
Thanks for all of the informative reply's. I am also considering the Kubota L6060 or MX or M series in like HP. I have a thread started there as well, but am still in research mode. One thing I do agree with, as having spent 28 years in the automotive OEM side, that a great dealer makes all of the difference in your purchase. Service and parts become very important after the sale, and will be a driving factor in my final decision. Appreciate all of the help so far.

/ JD 4066R or 5075E for Equestrian Farm? New member and new to tractors #20  
I own a 5525 JD with 4 by 3 trans with power reverser and economy pto. Really like that tractor and in process of selling it as stopping with farming. I have looked very carefully at about 60 hp in the JD 4066R and Kubota L6060 and Yanmar. I currently own two Kubota's and the best tractor I ever operated by far has been my JD 5525.

NOW JD has two 4000 and 5000 series or models of each. In the 4000 the M is the more basic and thus lower price. In the 5000 series the E is lower price/basic one. From what I have heard and hear the JD 5000 "E" model is, well a low quality tractor. Have had a JD dealer I greatly respect tell me it is, "A PRICE POINT MODEL" which I understood was hp for cheap price and that was it. No doubt there are many 5000 E owners who are pleased with their tractor but can tell you search MACHINEFINDER.com and you will find many 5000 E tractors for sale. Local Kubota dealer had two that were less than two years old on his lot this winter. The other 5000 JD you will find few for sale used.

I have been searching in the about 60 hp range for smaller tractor than my 5525 due to stopping farming and want lighter tractor for working in yards and tight places with smaller frame. Look at what you will be doing work wise. Know what implements you will need and find out what hp they need and work backwards. Smaller tractor often can mover quicker and in tighter places but may not be able to handle as big a task as you may need to do. Too big a rig is waste of money and time...takes more to haul them and set up. Have a friend who farmed row crops and so did I. In large fields his big rigs would run past me but in smaller fields I could work faster than he could. You need to know your needs as much as possible before you buy.

Hope you well in your venture.

Kthompson … Your post is misleading and dated. Currently Deere has three editions in the 5xxx series. They are: E,M & R As for lessor "quality" I dispute that. Many manufacturers have different levels of features in their products. Chevy has several editions of trucks... "high country", LTZ, LT, RST, etc. Does Chevy or GM have different Quality in their trucks ? I say No... But they do have different levels of features and power... As do the E,M & R editions of Deere's 5 series. Does number for sale mean lesser quality? Again... what does the market want ? There are always more mid level units than high or low level machines. it's basic statistics and marketing.

Actually, as I see it, Deere is up marketing the 5 series toward buyers of the low end 6 series with the R edition.

See here John Deere Tractors | 5 Family Utility Tractors | John Deere US