JD 345 fuel pump

/ JD 345 fuel pump #1  

robgard

Tractor
NEW hOLLAND 1720 JD X730 JD 425 JD 345
while mowing with my 345 the engine died. I checked the fuel filter and noticed it was empty so I thought it was a fuel pump problem. I replaced the pump but it still wont start. Could it be the cam that drives it or do I need to prime the pump, the engine has around 600 hrs. on it Need Help
p

/ JD 345 fuel pump #2  
That should have a vacuum operated fuel pump, not mechanical.
There might be a restriction in the fuel outlet from the tank

/ JD 345 fuel pump #3  
You could hook a 1/4" piece of fuel line on the back of the filter and drop into a fuel can and see if it is pumping. If not, pull the pump and see if the push rod is actuating.

/ JD 345 fuel pump #4  
Sometimes there's a fuel screen in the bottom of the tank at the outlet that can get clogged.

I had a similar issue on a machine I was working on where the fuel line between the pump and tank had rotted on the inside and created an obstruction even though it looked fine on the outside. I replaced the line and voila no more problem. I diagnosed it by blowing compressed air through the line after removing it.

/ JD 345 fuel pump #5  
I looked at the IPL and it looks from here that this one has a standard pick up tube. Apparently though, the 345 has some that have a return line which looks to come off a y fitting near the pump? I've not ever had an issue, but a possibility?

/ JD 345 fuel pump #7  
   / JD 345 fuel pump #8  
Because of it's age, the plastic fuel pickup hose in the tank can/does crack. It's enough to stop fuel suction when gas goes below the crack.
If the fuel level is low, add some more in order to get fuel above the crack. If it then sucks gas and start's, Bingo !

/ JD 345 fuel pump #9  
robgard
Did you get it fixed?