JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints

/ JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints #1  

KestrelMerlin

Tractor
John Deere 2305
I just found out on this forum about the horror stories when these joints fail. I baby my tractor, but I never knew these zerks even existed, even though I read the manual from cover to cover. Now I find out that they should be lubed every 50 hours. I have over 1100 hours on this machine.

I took off the mower deck and looked underneath, half expecting to see massive failure, but since I have never worked with u-joints, I might not know what I was seeing. I grasped the drive shaft and there was no play or slop at either end. I was wondering about the reddish coating on the joint - see attachment -
I'm writing to see if anyone here knows if that means anything.

When I tried, to grease the zerks, I could not get the nozzle on them. I went out and bought a blunt needle attachment for the grease gun, but I could not get grease into those or any other zerks.

Plan B is to take out the drive shaft and grease the joint, but my snap ring pliers would not do the job. I'm going to buy another better plier and take that shaft out and lube it.

Does anyone have a comment on the reddish coating on the joints? I didn't see it anywhere else on the underside.

Attachments

• ujoint.jpeg
    ujoint.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
   / JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints #3  
The powdered rust is likely from the splined shaft rather than the UJ.
You DO need to hit those UJ's with grease now and often. As you've read elsewhere - The consequences of non-lubrication are catastrophic.
I use a 'long' needle fitting from Snap-On.
Also, I recommend the JD blue grease for this application.

/ JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints #4  
If you do remove the driveshaft you can go ahead and replace the u joints with a Moog joint with zerks on the end caps. There are old threads on this.

/ JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints #5  
I'm betting you're going to find the splines on the way out unfortunately.:(

/ JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints
Thanks everyone for the info. I have to be out of town for a few days, so that will be on the list when I get back. I did get another set of snap ring pliers that I think will work.

If you do remove the driveshaft you can go ahead and replace the u joints with a Moog joint with zerks on the end caps. There are old threads on this.
Thanks, KennyG - I saw those old posts and I have saved them for reference.

/ JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints #8  
I have a newer JD 2025r and I can grease the driveshafts on mine in about 20 minutes. Most of the time is spent doing one that is difficult to get at. I’ve always use an electric grease gun for this. You can usually rotate the driveshafts to get at the zerks. It takes patience the first time and gets easier thereafter.

Thanks. I am able to turn the flywheel by hand to get the zerks lined up. there is not enough clearance for the grease gun tip to go over the zerk.
I do have a standard hand operated pistol grip gun with a 1' flexible hose on the gun. Maybe the nozzle on the electric gun is narrower.

/ JD 2305 Main Drive Shaft U-Joints #10  
One thing I learned is the tip is adjustable for grip. I had to take pliers to mine to loosen it. If you loosen it a little that helps but it won’t stay on as easily. I just jam it on and hold it but that’s easier with an electric.