JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #11  
Up or down does not matter as it is a close center sisteem .as you start it wil start spraying oil.
I'm probably in correct because it's been many yrs since I supervised repair of JD utility tractor 3 pt control valve seals.

If load & depth control internal linkage isn't properly adjusted so valves fully neutralize in fully raised position I was thinking control valves were more likely to leak with 3 pt raised than when 3 pt is in lower position

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #12  
It is like a tap that must be closed for the oil not to flow.
So up or down does not matter ! If o-ring is not good oil wil flow !

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise
Thanks, no oil visable oil slushing around, slight amount of mist but it’s splitting hairs.
Just waiting on the new hyd pump couplers to arrive, SPAREX is currently offline in Australia.
Can I disconnect pump drive from motor drive shaft to see if noise disappears??? Or is it not good to run engine with pump disconnected??? Just thinking maybe it’s a bearing or something on the engine side ??

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #14  
Operating engine with frt pump disconnected from engine CS is very similar to frt pump shaft spinning with engine CS but pump going "out of stroke" & not building pressure.

Fixed knocking noise in Hydraulics, replaced couplers between motor and pump, rubber cushion was in very bad condition and replaced both the metal couplers also very worn.

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #16  
Another Clue for those who understand hydraulics more then me is the Loud knocking Noise only happens when there is No load on pump, when activating steering or lifting 3pl no noise , soon as 3pl is at bottom or top it starts knocking immediately.
That's when the load is off. When it in a bind, not loose because it is trying to pump. Drive shafts and u joints are the same. Only make noise when coasting, no drive load on shaft.

That's when the load is off. When it in a bind, not loose because it is trying to pump. Drive shafts and u joints are the same. Only make noise when coasting, no drive load on shaft.
Hi All. I replaced both the cast couplers and the middle rubber cushion and it has fixed the problem of loud knocking.
Definitely recommend changing all the parts not just the rubber drive. Mine where very worn and would have chewed the rubber part up again.