JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ?

/ JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ? #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
My dad was a landscaper / groundskeeper for many years at the local hospital. He died in 1985 when I was 20 years old. I recently discovered a photo that shows Dad and me on a Jacobsen lawn tractor in April 1966 when I was not quite 2 yrs old. (trying to attach photo)

The tractor would be circa 1961 - 1966 ... perhaps as late as 1966.

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about that tractor, just curious mostly. If I came across one though, I'd probably buy it.

Could be a Jacobsen G20D tractor (unlikely) or, given the Hospital Grounds application ... a Lawn Tractor that would probably be in the 10 - 12 hp range, with a mower deck that I would guess was 42 inches cutting range. Best that I can guess is the CHIEF 1000, or the CHIEF 1200. It seems to have a highback seat (probably original equipment at time of sale), so that is throwing me a bit.

Wondering if there are any Jacobsen fans here, I'd love to know more. Thanks.

/ JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ?
I haven't posted for awhile.

Still seeking information and /or leads to finding a JACOBSEN CHIEF 1000 / 1200. It could be in the range of years from 1961 - 1966 (the year of a photo that I have).

/ JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ? #3  
If you could post a photo, that might help.

Richard

Exciting Day - after a lengthy search, I managed to locate and purchase a JACOBSEN SUPER CHIEF 1450 (1969-71 model) lawn tractor. A friend will pick it up, and deliver it later in the summer :) thrilled. now I just need to find a deck. CK
TractorData.com Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 tractor information
1621840049769.png

Last edited:
   / JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ? #5  
Nice! Congratulations!

/ JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ? #6  
Looks good.

/ JACOBSEN lawn tractors ... anyone ? #7  
That is sooo cool, it would be a blast to restore that puppy.

The seller confirmed that it was in good running condition, but that there is no mower deck. It is coming with the tire chains.

I am now trying to figure out the best fit for a used mower deck. I don't imagine that they are universal between brands, but I am checking around. Of course this will be easier to do when I have the Jacobsen at home, in a few months. :) I think that Ford might be a close fit, because I seem to recall that Ford took over Jacobsen's lawn tractor division. The challenge awaits .... the research is half the fun.

Have a great day, and thanks for the comments.

UPDATE:

It's now been a year since I was able to locate and buy this 1969 Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 Garden Tractor.
It arrived home in late September 2021. Started right up, Runs solid like a monster - love it. I'm still casually looking for a grille and a mower deck. My wife still doesn't understand my interest in it ... Isn't the PHOTO with your late dad enough ? (nope)

My friend's grand-daughter took to it immediately during a visit. :)

1653418383425.png