I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I had 3 or 4 gallons of leftover glyphosate mixture sitting in my 25 gal sprayer from when I sprayed weeds 4-6 weeks ago. (I didn't intend to leave it in there that long, but life got in the way :eek:)

I opened the tank yesterday, planning to pour it into a 5 gal container to store it ... it had a bunch of "stuff" growing in it. That seemed like a good sign to me that maybe glyphosate isn't the worst stuff in the world.

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #2  
The stuff works specificially on green growing plant material, and it will bind up _quickly_ with hard water and other soil particles and will not let go until it breaks down over time.

It is one of the safer weed chemicals so much as anyone can test or prove at this time.

It often does as you say, doesn't store for very long once it has been mixed. In it's concentrated form, you can store it for a few years; you might need to shake up or stir up the concentrate, as the salty portion tends to sink to the bottom if stored for long periods.

The relative merits of using it at all or not, and the safty of one way or the other, will possibly be debated for centuries to come. :)

--->Paul

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #3  
"The relative merits of using it at all or not, and the safty of one way or the other, will possibly be debated for centuries to come. "

Yep, I don't like using it. That being said, I just mixed up 8 gallons and sprayed the bejesus out of some Kudzu that has jumped the road and is heading towards my property.

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #4  
I have the prof. strength Round-up approaching 10 yeo, It still mixes and kills about any thing green, except poison ivy, it curls the leafs?? Probably need to mix stronger??

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #5  
I had some left over from last summer in a small hand held sprayer.Worked fine after setting all winter in my heated garage.

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #6  
I have the prof. strength Round-up approaching 10 yeo, It still mixes and kills about any thing green, except poison ivy, it curls the leafs?? Probably need to mix stronger??

Ruh roh, really? I was about to buy some just for the poison ivy at my place.

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #7  
I use the 41% stuff and it will kill posion ivy. One thing I learned about Round Up, don't get in a hurry to see results, it takes a few weeks or more.

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful
I use the 41% stuff and it will kill posion ivy. One thing I learned about Round Up, don't get in a hurry to see results, it takes a few weeks or more.

That's right. It took prob a full month for all my weeds to really be dead & actually gone from view.

They first die but keep standing there dead for a while. And of course some weeds die faster than others. And prob some dead ones deteriorate faster than other dead ones, too, maybe depending on how dense they are/were?

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #9  

I have the same strength in Pro.41%.Now the poison ivy seems to be growing along the ground under the trees and putting up bushes every 4 feet??getting relly hard to walk arond there...Might try axing a few vines this winter.. I know the sap is almost toxic..

/ I've read that glyphosate breaks down rapidly & therefore is less harmful #10  
You have to use a surfactant on plants with waxy leaves like poison oak & ivy. Surfactant is a wetting agent that allows the glyphosate to penetrate the leaf. The local feed store has 2.5 gal. plain glyphosate, 41% for $39 or glyphosate with surfactant for $41. You can buy surfactant separately and add it.

Glyphosate attacks certain enzymes that plants have and animals don't have, which is why it is safe.