I've got another tiller question

/ I've got another tiller question #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I've been doing some research on the King Kutter line of tillers and I keep coming up with different models, what's the difference between these? Example,,, TG-72, and a TG-72-Y and a TG-72-YK and a TG-6-72. Anyone want to take a stab at this? And the prices seem to vary also. Once again, thanks for your comments. RRM

/ I've got another tiller question #2  
I have the 6 ft KK tiller. I can't find anything that explains the different designations. Perhaps an email to KK is in order.
I did find out that the TG-G-72 is in the line of the "professional" series of tillers.

/ I've got another tiller question #3  
Yeah, I'm looking at them too. If you go to KK website, their product line is broken down into consumer, industrial, professional product lines. You can scroll through those menus to see the differences.

I'm looking at the little ones (48"), and found the consumer & industrial had significant difference in weight ~ 20%. Other than that, the features all seemed to be the same.

/ I've got another tiller question #4  
Yeah, I'm looking at them too. If you go to KK website, their product line is broken down into consumer, industrial, professional product lines. You can scroll through those menus to see the differences.

I'm looking at the little ones (48"), and found the consumer & industrial had significant difference in weight ~ 20%. Other than that, the features all seemed to be the same.
Comparing parts the difference is in the back plate and the top frame is different.
Regular
TG-60.jpg

Professional
TG-G-60.jpg

/ I've got another tiller question #5  
Comparing parts the difference is in the back plate.

Hmmm....which piece is that? They seem to be pretty simple - a top plate, side plates, back flap & torque tubes to resist twisting.

At any rate, I would think they add metal for rough tilling / pasture? With lots of rocks?

I'm just a weekend warrior with a 'civilized' garden, so I'm good with the 'consumer' version.

/ I've got another tiller question
What exactly is the difference? Does the professional have a different gearbox or heavier gears. If it's just some sheet metal changes then I don't see a big deal. Why does the standard model have the bar going from the gear box to a brace on the left side and the Professional model does not have this brace? Seems to me the brace would help the gear box from torqueing. Is the sheet metal itself heavier? RRM

/ I've got another tiller question #7  
I looks like you could convert the professional into a reverse rotation tiller by unbolting the end plates, tine spool and gearboxes and swapping them around by 180 degrees?

/ I've got another tiller question #8  
I'll bet that's it - it looks like the Professional version is made to disassemble for tine reversal. I guess a guy would really need that capability for the extra money & hassle to change around the rotating assemblies.

I'm kind of going with Gary Fowler's advice - pick the best compromise. For me, it looks like forward rotation is 'good enough', then if i want to open a new piece of ground I can do that anyway.