It's official - our property is now a farm!!

/ It's official - our property is now a farm!! #11  
Re: It\'s official - our property is now a farm!!

Just heard on the news that California farmers are gettng paid 17 million dollars to knock down plum trees because Americans are not eating enough prunes. I'm not knocking farmers, so don't go there, however, they should get a regular job....get it? regular...prunes...

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ It's official - our property is now a farm!! #12  

The real reason the Busturds in state and local government are classifying a lot of land as farms is the Federal greenspace mandate. The Feds have mandated a certain percentage of land has to be green space, and farms count toward that percentage. If the locals don't have sufficient farming, they have to buy land and make parks.
It ain't like they all got infected with good sense or anything.
Around ches Bay they are raising he11 with horse farmers about manure, and how it's spread. Amazing what there gooburmunt professionals can come up with.

/ It's official - our property is now a farm!!

Franz,

That's what I was alluding to... We live in the Cheasapeake Watershed. The Potomac River is probably .5 miles from our property as the crow flies.

Several hundred acres surrounding our 400 or so acre subdivision are used for cattle farming. And both of the farmers have relatively small herds and manage them with block rotation. About as non-intrusive and offending as any animal farm can be. About the only thing these guys use for pasture management is lime and the animal droppings.

A couple of other farms have corn, soybeans, and other grains. From what I've seen they use minimal chemical treatment and fertilizers.

I'm more concerned with the average homeowner who goes to Lowes/Home Depot/etc and buys bags/bottles of herbicides and pestisides and spreads them indescriminately. I've know some people who do some pretty bizarre things with "household" chemicals. Scare the dickens out of me.

As most of us know, with proper management and care, herbicides and pesticides can be used safely. Manure can be easily managed and used to promote good soil management. Maybe there is something that I really don't understand about what their trying to accomplish. And sometimes the Coneheads just don't get it. All they are concerned with is getting more funding to promote certain popular agendas.

Gotta stop - the soapbox is getting wobblely with me jumping up and down.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Terry