It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT!

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Holy cow! For a county named Wise, we sure come up with some kooky people. Here's a guy from Bridgeport, Texas who is going to try and jump the Snake River Canyon where Evel Knievel failed. Right now, this fellow weighs in at a svelte 280 lb. Give the guy some credit though. He's successfully performed over 1400 jumps with the longest being 156', and he's done it several times. The guy bid on and won the rights for this jump by laying out a cool 1 million dollars. So, Idahoans look out! You may have a 280 lb Texas sized "Bug" on the Snake River Canyon wall in September of 2014. Will he clear the 1600' canyon or go down in a rocket-powered motorcycle blaze of glory? Stay tuned. . . :)

Big Ed Beckley's Website

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #2  
Mean while... My ship is ankored at Cubi Point!

mark

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #3  
Jim,

What's the over/under as to how many feet he makes it?:)

Steve

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #4  
Why does "George of the Jungle" come to mind?

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT!
Jim,

What's the over/under as to how many feet he makes it?:)

Steve

Steve, the over is dry and the under is a bath in the Snake River. Either way, it's a choice of a short or long parachute ride. . . if that doesn't malfunction. When the rockets kick in, he's going to keep his motorcycle revving so his wheels give him gyro stability. I'm thinking if something goes wrong, he may become a rocket powered red-white-blue pinwheel with a twisted parachute tail.:eek: One thing for sure. If he makes it, there will be somebody else who wants to do it in more spectacular style. . . maybe a monster truck.:shocked:

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #7  
I wonder what the financial picture of that is?

$943K just to use the take-off point, the bike, the engineers, etc., etc. Seems like the TV rights and sponsor-ships would have to be pretty rich to cover the costs. I'll bet Big Ed has it worked out though.

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #8  
The word "Splat" comes to mind!

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #9  
Actually, the statement "Hold my beer and watch THIS!" comes to mind.

/ It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Big Ed. . . SPLATT! #10  
Careful wagtail; I've been known to say that a few times! :laughing: