It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff....

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #1  

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
I never really paid much attention to how people hauled tractors and equipment on trailers until I started hauling mine. I am a rookie only have hauled my John Deere 1026 on my trailer a couple of times but I wanted to do it right and be safe. I don't care for ratchet straps so I went out and bought 3/8" frade 70 chain and used my chain binders to take up the slack. I saw a guy the other day hauled a skid steer and only had 1 chain and it was a small chain going over the rear and no chain binders at all, it was so loose if he made a sharp turn I guarantee it would have turned over. I just can't believe the way people throw there equipment on trailers and not even worried about if they are not tied down properly. I prolly go a little overkill since my 1026 prolly weights less than 2000 pounds but I no its not going anywhere. Check out my pics and if you see I am doing it wrong let me know. I want my equipment to be safe. If and when I haul the loader or brush hog I will throw a chain over them too or use a ratchet strap.

Attachments

• 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    623 KB · Views: 696
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 640
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 703
   / It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #2  
One chain at each end would be adequate, but like you said this way you know you are fine.

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #3  
You need 7-10% of load on trailer tongue.

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff....
You need 7-10% of load on trailer tongue.
I thought you suppose to center the tractor over the axles. So you saying I need to back up another foot or two? Like I said I am a rookie and want to do it the correct way, not like the yahoo's I have living in my town that throw a small chain over the tractor and not even put a chain binder on it.

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #5  
On the tractor front end chains, I would take the chain under that front bar, up behind, then hook it on the top of the bar. I like gravity to help keep hooks on.

Bruce

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #6  
Weigh balance looks great in photo

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #7  
Not to nit-pick, but you asked.
If your hooks face down they won't come off if the chain should go slack, for whatever reason. If you tie, tape, wire, however you can, the binder handles, they won't release on their own.
Again I am nit-picking. I wish everyone would tie machines down like you do.

Back in the early 70's several times I noticed a road construction crew transporting their dump truck and backhoe without using a trailer. They would lower the loader bucket into the back of the dump untill the loaders front wheels came off the ground. That was it. Off they went with the TLB being towed behind the dump.

Best, Bill

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #8  
Normally the C.G. of an empty tractor is about where the steering wheel is. So to me, that looks like it's too far forward on the trailer.

The jack is down in these pics, so we can't really judge the balance.

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #9  
You guys would love to see my pics, I haul with a ton and a half rack truck but I drive the tractor ahead so I have a lot of tongue weight. when I haul my 790 almost the whole tractor is ahead of the axels. Makes the trailer haul like a dream and the truck can handle it. I say the more tongue weight the better, that looks like a good position if the truck can handle the weight on the hitch. Chaining looks better than most, better than mine a lot of times. I almost always use 4 chains but I hook 2 then drive the tractor to pull them tight and then 2 more with binders, that's on a deck over equipment trailer.

/ It amazes me the unsafe way people haul stuff.... #10  
It looks like it is tied down very well.

I think it could go farther forward than what you have it but I am looking from a computer. I just usually watch how much the tow vehicle squats and see how the trailer pulls.

If you want to get technical do this, scroll to the bathroom scale method

Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com