It’s too hot to mow.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #71  
Mowed this evening at 23°C. Very pleasant! Wife came over with drinks after. Very nice!

IMG_7885.jpeg

/ It’s too hot to mow. #72  
I don’t know how you folks, down on the gulf coast, do it thru the summer. There’s no way in hell that I could ever survive a summer down there. I just barely got thru working a couple of days, down in Pascagoula MS in September, a few years ago.

The older I get, extreme cold bothers me much less than extreme heat. With “global warming” accelerating rapidly each year, we’ve been dealing with less and less of that way up north here on the Canadian border, every year.

I’m visiting relatives down in VA beach currently. Even this area is way too hot for me to even consider any outside work at this time of year. Gettysburg PA is the “halfway point” between here and home. That is about the absolute southern point, where I would ever consider living and working, thru a summer.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #73  
I’m not far from Gettysburg, and it’s funny how eastern PA and central or western PA can be very different with regard to heat index. Similar wet bulb temperature, but oh my God, the humidity climbs like crazy as you head east.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #74  
Mowed on Thursday and figured it would be early next week till it was tall enough to need cut again. Late Saturday afternoon, Wifey said "Maybe you should mow before the rain gets here". It didn't look like it really needed it until I started cutting it. It surprised me that most of the yard did deserve a good trim. Not that long ago, the grass was brown and I went a couple weeks without getting the tractor out.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #75  
The temp was 111 and I didn't even notice digging up some
cactus. I don't think anyone was using an open cab around
here.

willy

/ It’s too hot to mow. #76  
My sheep do the mowing. I have one strip about the size of a tennis court that I have to mow. Other than that its all sheep food. Best part is I eat my lawn mowers.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #77  
It's cool in the Rocky Mountains this year. We keep a jacket handy most days. Today we worked the tractor all afternoon moving dead trees away from the creek. It was pleasant to be outside, though a bit too sunny, dry and hot.

But here's something we wondered about - We spent high school years in south Texas back before air conditioning was common.
Cars didn't have AC. Tractors and combines didn't have cabs.
Drive in movies, baseball & football games were favorite pastimes. In spite of the heat, HS sports - games and practice - went on year around. I recall it being hot sometimes, but not miserable.

Apparently summer heat isn't unhealthy or even uncomfortable.
It's just a matter of what you get used to.
rScotty

/ It’s too hot to mow. #78  
It's cool in the Rocky Mountains this year. We keep a jacket handy most days. Today we worked the tractor all afternoon moving dead trees away from the creek. It was pleasant to be outside, though a bit too sunny, dry and hot.

But here's something we wondered about - We spent high school years in south Texas back before air conditioning was common.
Cars didn't have AC. Tractors and combines didn't have cabs.
Drive in movies, baseball & football games were favorite pastimes. In spite of the heat, HS sports - games and practice - went on year around. I recall it being hot sometimes, but not miserable.

Apparently summer heat isn't unhealthy or even uncomfortable.
It's just a matter of what you get used to.
rScotty
You reminded me of how things were when I was a kid. A/C was something found in movie theaters, restaurants and the like. I remember only one residence with A/C - and that was a window unit rather than central A/C. We sweated while trying to fall asleep in the hot weather. I ordered an El Camino in'70 without A/C because it wasn't something I had before that. A career in construction taught me to deal with hot (and cold) weather here in PA. Can't say being hot was unhealthy but will certainly testify it can be very uncomfortable.

First car I had with A/C was the '74 Monte Carlo. Apparently I liked it enough to have it in every car since:) I'm 74 and do work on things outdoors. Sometimes the heat/humidity convince me to wait till it cools down a bit. Other times I wear a longsleeve white shirt and a wide brim hat and put up with it. I do appreciate my BIL suggesting to Wifey about 5 years ago that at my age it would be nice to have a cabbed tractor with cooling to deal with the heat, dust and pollen.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #79  
Pa wouldn't get AC. No way.
If you got AC in the house you wouldn't want to work outside.

/ It’s too hot to mow. #80  
I was about to make a comment like "That's what a tedder is for" when I realized that you guys are talking about mowing a LAWN, not hay.

Air-conditioned lawn mower, interesting concept, but an extravagance we won't be indulging. We don't even have AC on our farm tractors. The one tractor with a cab is "air conditioned" by taking the cab doors off to let the breeze flow through.

All cabbed tractors eventually get the "open the doors A/C" as the A/Cs all eventually fail despite pouring a lot of money into them trying to keep them going, and you eventually give up on it. From personal experience, a cabbed tractor with a broken A/C is a lot hotter than an open station tractor even with the doors open.

Funny, I guess some are too pampered to do outdoor work without cool aid and AC. I understand some in this forum spend hours working their fields, and a cab w AC is warranted, but I have to laugh when AC becomes a necessity in order for them to get on their lawnmower, with a front loader, and cut grass for 30 minutes.

It is all perspective. It's a real treat to get to sit down and run an open station tractor baling small squares in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the summer when the last thing you did was stack bales in the hay barn. Even when the A/C works in a cabbed tractor, you still get hot and dirty and sweaty just working with equipment. You go hook up to your implement, you get at least a little hot and dirty and sweaty. Grease the implement, you get hot and dirty and sweaty. Go have to put in a new roll of net wrap or more twine and you get hot and dirty and sweaty. Plug something up and have to unplug it, or have any hiccups or breakdowns, you get even more hot, dirty, and sweaty troubleshooting and fixing it.

You reminded me of how things were when I was a kid. A/C was something found in movie theaters, restaurants and the like. I remember only one residence with A/C - and that was a window unit rather than central A/C. We sweated while trying to fall asleep in the hot weather. I ordered an El Camino in'70 without A/C because it wasn't something I had before that. A career in construction taught me to deal with hot (and cold) weather here in PA. Can't say being hot was unhealthy but will certainly testify it can be very uncomfortable.

First car I had with A/C was the '74 Monte Carlo. Apparently I liked it enough to have it in every car since:) I'm 74 and do work on things outdoors. Sometimes the heat/humidity convince me to wait till it cools down a bit. Other times I wear a longsleeve white shirt and a wide brim hat and put up with it. I do appreciate my BIL suggesting to Wifey about 5 years ago that at my age it would be nice to have a cabbed tractor with cooling to deal with the heat, dust and pollen.

Around here air conditioning started to become common in new houses, new stores, and new cars starting in the late 1980s and it wasn't until the late 1990s when most places other than schools and colleges had it. The first vehicle we had with air conditioning was an '86 if I remember correctly, the '81 pickup certainly didn't have it, you opened the vent windows when it got hot. It was still common for schools and colleges to not have air conditioning in very many places until the big building and renovating push in the early to mid 2000s. Now about the only places that don't have it are some auto shops, small warehouses, small fab shops and cabinet shops, and such. It's not many places any more.