Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #31  
BTI trucks hauling soda ash over South Pass from mines in Green River to the BNSF railroad at Bonneville, Wyoming.
14D90208-25FE-4F24-978A-37357B3FB9F7.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #32  
I agree that it’s more productive to have bulk materials hauled in by more capable trucks but every job has stuff that needs hauled off. And it’s not as practical to get a truck in to haul off trash and wait for it to get there to load. And without the dump truck I loose the towing capacity.
With a little planning, always had something on-site when I wanted it there didn’t matter if I was loading or unloading.
A roll back or hook lift can have a trailer hitch.

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #33  
430 hp is fairly low for a semi and definitely low for the heavy haul setup
~375 - ~600 . Seems to be as emissions get more complex, hp needs (desires) go up.
Of course some people can make them bigger and faster 😱

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #34  
430 hp is fairly low for a semi and definitely low for the heavy haul setups.
Heavy haulage is done here with Volvo FH16 750 or Scania R760 V8. Mercedes with the 15.6 liter OM 473 six pot (allmost the same as Detroit DD16) and the MAN D3872 at 15.2 liter up to 660hp generally do the heavy haulage up to 60-70 ton gcw.
The Paccar MX11 at max 440hp is popular for tank transport because it weighs slightly less than the MX13.
Moreover, power ratings in the 13 liter class are rising to 540-560hp because people dont want the added weight of a 15 liter engine anymore.

Back in the 70s the Germans still sold Magirus, Mercedes and MAN with a 16 liter naturally aspirated V10 at 310hp..

Last edited:
   / Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #35  
By the way, Daf trucks Australia is doing a field test with 10 Daf trucks equipped with the brand new Cummins X15D at 660hp. Though European trucks are getting more and more popular at long haul operators due to their automobile level finish and luxury, Daf was lagging behind the Germans and Swedes because they had only their MX13 on offer.

The Cummins X15D (for Daf?) is tailored primarily at the Australian B-double market, but will also be seen in the Scandinavian market pulling doubles, as well as European heavy haulage.

With 660hp and 3200Nm (2360 Ft-lb) of torque, there is room to upgrade to 700hp and 3400Nm in the next generation because the automated ZF Traxon transmission is rated for 3400Nm.
This means that this new X15D engine is a whole different animal than the existing X15 engine with 605hp and 2050 Ft-lb at 1400rpm. In fact it didnt really have a competitive edge over the Paccar MX13 with 1850 Ft-lb at 1000rpm in Australia or Europe...

Daf was already working with Cummins on a Euro spec X15 version since 2021, and i wouldnt be surprised if its going to be badged Paccar MX15 and sold exclusively in Daf, kenny and Pete because Volvo/Mack, Mercedes/Freightliner, MAN/Navistar already adopted European engine designs, or are in the process of building a factory on American soil...

Last edited: