Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #1  

r8f1k

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 100, Allis Chalmers D14, International Super MTA, IH 560, Mahindra 4510, Gehl 4500, Clark CY45, JD 800, JD 60
Anyone have any thoughts on the ability of a 2003 Isuzu NPR 4.8L diesel? I would use it from time to time to haul a skid steer trailer and for the most part, use it to dump loads of soil/wood chips in an orchard. Not looking to haul giant loads, but I just want something a little more substantial than my Ford F350. Any thoughts?

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #2  
I don't about the US specs on that truck but on EU, that was one of the greatest trucks used here, alongside with the Mitsubishi Canter, Nissan Cabstar and Toyota Dyna. The Izusu sold here had a 3.9L engine I believe.

Over here, people will just load the machines on the truck and won't bother with having to mess with a trailer, specially in tight places.

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #3  
Most of them are setup with a 3 Way dump bed, just like this one:

1679317703179.png

Other have just a simple bed or are also setup with a crane.
1679317761265.png

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #5  
The power seems a bit on the low side.

I would make sure you load up your heaviest load and try it before committing. That set up is more for delivery type loads instead of towing loads.

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts

I would make sure you load up your heaviest load and try it before committing. That set up is more for delivery type loads instead of towing loads.
Like try to load up a trailer and take a test drive prior to purchase?

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #8  
Like try to load up a trailer and take a test drive prior to purchase?
If that's an option, sure why not. We used to have 3. of these outfitted as rollbacks with wheel lifts. Not the fastest thing on the road but the aisin 6 speed (IMO) made good use of the torque curve. We were moving cars in the city so the cab over with shorter turning radius sure helped.

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #9  
As dd said, great maneuverable city trucks, but they lack towing grunt for heavy loads. I wouldn’t want to pull much more than 12K with them. Hills will slow them down more. Look at the torque ratings and torque curves and compare to 3500-5500 type trucks

/ Isuzu NPR Diesel Towing and Hauling thoughts #10  
Diesel pickup trucks have Class 8 power, but they dont have the torque at cruising speed and neither the longevity.

The NPR has an industrial duty diesel engine. Look at its CONSTANT POWER rating of 173hp at 1800rpm, despite its modest peak power of 190hp. This engine isnt made to drag race, but it will lug the long run.

Last edited: