Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe?

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #1  

dmfahie

Tractor
J.D. 2305
My tractor will not hold a charge. I need to boost it every start. I also noticed that my lights are dimmer then they should be. I had it running for about 3 hours today, and just out of the blue it died. Again, jumped it to start, tried to turn it over and it was dead as a doornail. I had my tractor serviced about a year ago for this issue, Shaw Brothers in Sanford, ME. neglected to fix it correctly but just placed a new battery in it. IS it my alternator or voltage regulator?

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #2  
Does yours have a alternator light? Might be a battery symbol? Does it come "ON" when you start it? Does it stay "ON"
Post back you answers

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #3  
Do you own a Volt Meter?

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe?
Zebrafive- To my knowledge it does not... but I will check my owners manual. No lights have come or stayed on

Murphy- I do, can you advice me on what to check?

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #5  
Start with the battery , whats the voltage? with probe's on the batt start the tractor your voltage should jump to 13.5 or higher then slowly drop down to 12.5 or so. report back

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #6  
did you check the belt? voltage at the battery should be between 13.6 and 14.2 running.

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe?
Thanks for all your help... Tracking down my Voltage Regulator then I will update the post.

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #8  
If your tractor does have an alternator light that's burnt out, that could be the problem. Some systems need a battery signal to get the alternator charging. It comes from the ignition switch, through the alternator light to the alternator.

/ Issue with my 2305... Altenator maybe? #9  
My 2305 have an alternator, oil and temperature light where the fuel gauge is situated. The symbol is a battery. I suspect a battery problem, but you won't know until you make a few simple text with a volt-meter.