Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Hi, I looked at another skid steer today. Its a 2000 Bobcat 753 Advantage Series, with the high flow hydraulics, the eletronic keypad thing, etc.

It has just over 2000 hours. The seller said it had been sitting for about a week. Its definately not a rental unit, he used it for his business.

When he went to start it, he held the glow plugs for about 10 seconds, then pressed the start button for about 4 seconds. He stopped, then held the glow plugs a little more, and then cranked it over for a few more seconds and then it fired up.

About a minute later I got in the machine and shut it down, then started it up again. It fired up instantly.

Is this normal? It has been sitting for about a week where the temperatures dipped below freezing at night. It was probably in the 50s when I was looking at it.

Hes asking 7200 for it, and I'm very interested, I just want to make sure this is normal for starting, because my Yanmar can sit for 2 weeks in cold weather, and fire up on the second try with less than 2 seconds of cranking.

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #2  
Sounds great too me, are you saying you think that is taking too long?

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #3  
Doesn't sound to hateful to me either-and that's a pretty good price also...

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #4  
Doesn't sound like a big issue or lurking problem - IMO. We had (still have) a 753 at the maintainence shop where I used to work. Good machine.

When it's cold (teens) I've had to leave the glow plugs on for probably 30 seconds before hitting the starter.

You kinda have to guess about how long to turn the glow plugs on depending upon the outside temp and whether or not the machine has been sitting for some time and it's been colder than the present time.

AKfish

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer
Thanks for all the help guys.

The only other issue is the control sticks - the one on the right can travel further than the one on the left, so when you push them all the way forward, the machine turns to the left slightly.

Is this just and adjustment thing? If I put both sticks in the same position, it goes straight, so I don't think its a hydraulic drive issue...

I guess I'll really put some thought into it now. Its still a lot of money, but I've seen much older machines going for the same price.

It'll need some paint here and there, a new seat at some point, and a good cleaning, but overall it seems like a good machine.

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #6  
Thanks for all the help guys.

The only other issue is the control sticks - the one on the right can travel further than the one on the left, so when you push them all the way forward, the machine turns to the left slightly.

Is this just and adjustment thing? If I put both sticks in the same position, it goes straight, so I don't think its a hydraulic drive issue...

I guess I'll really put some thought into it now. Its still a lot of money, but I've seen much older machines going for the same price.

It'll need some paint here and there, a new seat at some point, and a good cleaning, but overall it seems like a good machine.

I had a 1998 Bobcat 873 with the same traveling issue. I didn't notice it much except when traveling at higher speeds over a distance. It would just drift slowly to one side. I asked a dealer if it was easy to adjust and he said it was a little expensive and took some time to fix. I think he said $300-$400. I just left it the way it was. If traveling down a road, I just kept the one stick back slightly. You will never notice except when traveling a full speed.

The starting issue you described seems to be ok. When it is really cold, the glow plugs can be left on up to a minute. My Bobcat S300 and Toolcat have keyless start and the glow plugs come on automatically before start up in cooler weather. Both will come on for about 10 seconds in 50F temps, 20 seconds near freezing and longer when colder.

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer
Cool, thanks for the info. This model had the keyless start too, but it also had a button for the glow plugs. Is this so you can "manually" turn on the glow plugs for longer if needed?

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #8  
Hi.
The steering is no big deal either.753 steering is a very simple arrangement. It's one of two things. The linkage between levers and pump need adjusting (2 bars with slots),or possibly needs tightening where the lever connect to the pump.

One thing to check, look at the insides of the wheels for signs of axle seal leaks, and whether you see signs or not I'd check the chaincase oil (1/2 square plug on frame behind bucket.

If there's oil in there, even if the seals were leaking, the seals are pretty easy to replace on that machine.

And yes on that machine you can hold the glow plug on as long as needed. 30 seconds or more in very cold weather is normal.

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #9  
The Kubota diesels are a little harder to start in cold weather by the design of them, they use pre-combustion chambers they are not direct injection, the pre-cups are a very reliable design they just dont like cold weather much. I've saw them (old, well worn) that would not start on a 100 degree day til you plug'em a little.

Sounds like mabye he was just eager for a sale and didn't glow it long enough.

The 2000 year model should be an F-series it wont have all the new electronic mess the later models have. The next later series is a G-series it controls glow plugs by computer it senses if it's cold enough to need them and turns them on by itself.

$300-$400 is about right for a steering job depending on parts needed. I personally would run it as is until it started creeping (moving by itself) uncontrolably.

/ Is this "starting" normal for a skid steer #10  
The few seconds to start is not really an issue. The one thing to check is blowby. Remove the filler cap when the units running and check for air , smoke etc coming out. This is an indication of worn rings and sleaves. There is no way to really measure it so its an "experience" thing. Compare it to your yanmar. 7200 doesnt seem out of line at all. They are going at auction for higher then that