Is this shop trying to rip me off?!

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #1  

jw12

Tractor
Kubota L2250DT
I was asking for quotes from a local tractor shop and I was told a clutch could cost $10000! (Yes $10000) For my Kubota L2250DT. That is just the price for the clutch not labor to fix it.
I thought that was B.S.
Am I wrong?! How much does a clutch replacement cost? I was thinking $2000-$3000 was what I would pay total.

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #2  
I was asking for quotes from a local tractor shop and I was told a clutch could cost $10000! (Yes $10000) For my Kubota L2250DT. That is just the price for the clutch not labor to fix it.
I thought that was B.S.
Am I wrong?! How much does a clutch replacement cost? I was thinking $2000-$3000 was what I would pay total.
Have you not took time to price the clutch online? Maybe you should.

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #3  
Sounds high to me. Need to know if you have a single or dual clutch. It will make a big difference in price.

Will have to add t/o and pilot bearings plus any needed seals and o'rings.

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #4  
I could easily see the job being $4000-$5000 if using all Kubota parts.

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #5  
The entire assembly with friction plates, drive plates and baskets for both clutches is just over $2k at Messicks. You should not need all of those parts unless they're really damaged. The friction plates are about $220 each. At a minimum I'd replace those and the throwout bearings.

$10k for parts is likely the "we're too busy" price. Most of the cost should be labor to split and re-assemble the tractor.

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #6  
Dual assy, t/o, pilot approx $2200.
Single plate, disc, t/o, pilot approx $630.

These are Messick's prices.

Labor about 10-12 hours @ $125 per hour= $1250-$1500. Not sure what current shop rates are.

/ Is this shop trying to rip me off?! #7  
Dual assy, t/o, pilot approx $2200.
Single plate, disc, t/o, pilot approx $630.

These are Messick's prices.

Labor about 10-12 hours @ $125 per hour= $1250-$1500. Not sure what current shop rates are.
This sounds about right; and I think $120-130/hr is about right for shop time; about $150/hr on mobile equipment repair.

With split, your also going to have fluids, so throw a bit of money in for that. I dont think $2500 total to be out of question, but $10k? Are there significant damages to the gears?

If it's over $5k total; you really probably need to start thinking about scrapping it; it's probably worth a max of $10k in excellent shape, good tires, and a loader.