Is this excessive wear? (sprockets, track link underside)

/ Is this excessive wear? (sprockets, track link underside) #1  

houska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h; Kubota KX-040
I got a new KX-040 in February 2023. Just did the initial 50 hour service (final drive oil change, turntable greasing, etc.).

There's quite a bit more wear on the right track sprockets and track links than I was expecting - see picture, note the exposed metal. Does this look unusual for a nearly new machine? I've only previously used quite old machines and clapped-out rentals, so I'm not sure how to calibrate.

I only use it on my own property (hence the low hours after 8 months...) and try to treat it well, but the ground of my forest is all sorts of exposed granite bedrock and chipped rock in poor soil, so it's not exactly kind to rubber tracks.

I checked the track tension and it was within Kubota's spec (0.4-0.6 inch gap) but on the low side, so I decreased the tension a little bit to about 5/8". Tension was fine last time I checked as well, around 25 hours, and I didn't notice anything remarkable about wear at the time.

The left side sprockets and track links are not pristine, but worn less. I've sort of always felt the right track was a bit less strong when moving, but then I thought I must be imagining things...

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
   / Is this excessive wear? (sprockets, track link underside) #2  
I too have a KX-040, now with about 160 hours. May first mini excavator. Our ground has a lot of rock and little soil.

Your track and sprocket look fine to me. The rubber on the track and paint on the sprokets will come off with wear...as yours does.

/ Is this excessive wear? (sprockets, track link underside) #3  
The rubber coating wears off the drive surfaces in no time.

/ Is this excessive wear? (sprockets, track link underside)
Thanks for the reassurance! Have no trouble with the "new" rubbing off, just as long as it's not a symptom of a problem. Off to dig some more...

/ Is this excessive wear? (sprockets, track link underside) #5  
There will be specific measurements for sprocket and track wear.