Is my starter going? How to replace....

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
Good evening all,

So I have 2004 TC35 12/12 with 2503 hours. Has never had a serious mechanical problem. Just this week, when I turn the ignition, the starter does that grinding spin and doesn't engage. At first sporadic, but now happening with increasing frequency. Is it inevitable that the starter will fail? If so, having not looked at the tractor today before leaving for work, can anyone remind if the starter on that model is easily accessed for owner replacement? If owner doable, any special tools I need on hand?

Any counsel greatly appreciated!

Jed

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #2  
Only you can decide if you have the time, tools and talent. Open the hood and check it out. Changing a starter isn't rocket science, but some guys have no business owning Vise Grips.
Metric combination wrenches and sockets,

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #3  
Do you have the manuals? Most starters are fairly easy to replace. But you might want to get the battery load tested first.
On my M4700 the battery was going and it wouldn't engage whatever it needed to to spin the engine. Replaced the battery and it's been fine since.

/edit - Voltage showed good with a cheap voltmeter. When the guy at NAPA did a load test it passed the first time but failed the second time.

Last edited:
   / Is my starter going? How to replace.... #4  
I agree with having the battery load tested first, if that isn't the culprit then jump on the starter! It should be on one side of the engine or the other, may be hard to get to with a loader. Be sure and unhook the battery before you start to remove it, the last thing you want to do is short the wires out and have even more problems. If you don't try to do it yourself how will you know you can't do it? My dad always said "can't never could". Have any mechanical knowledge friends, maybe they could help you do it.

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #5  
From your description, it's likely that the solenoid intermittent pull-in plunger contacts are worn, bent, or dirty. New Denso starter ($100 - $150 + shipping) or new contact set (from ebay $5.00 free shipping). Been there. Identical symptoms. Easy to change-out. You might get by without having to remove the whole starter. Just pull off the solenoid. Be careful to save/preserve the insulation washers.

Attachments

• starter contacts1.JPG
    starter contacts1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 902
   / Is my starter going? How to replace.... #6  
It may just need some TLC. Mostly cleaning and lubrication.

As someone said, lots of cheap "Denso" starters on E-Bay.

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #7  
If it spins but doesn't engage its the solenoid. Easy repair.

/ Is my starter going? How to replace....
Thanks all for the great advice above. Because my free time is so limited, and because I've had the good fortune of only having to replace the ignition switch on this tractor in 2500 hours, I think I will pick up a starter assembly at my dealer ($180) and replace it. My wife uses the tractor alot during the week when I'm at work, and the peace of mind that it will start reliably is worth the $180 and some time this weekend. I may take the time to take photos of the procedure and post them for any future TBN user. Again, thanks all!

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #9  
Take your battery with you and have it load checked. If it's the battery a new starter may not help.

/ Is my starter going? How to replace.... #10  
Thanks all for the great advice above. Because my free time is so limited, and because I've had the good fortune of only having to replace the ignition switch on this tractor in 2500 hours, I think I will pick up a starter assembly at my dealer ($180) and replace it. My wife uses the tractor alot during the week when I'm at work, and the peace of mind that it will start reliably is worth the $180 and some time this weekend. I may take the time to take photos of the procedure and post them for any future TBN user. Again, thanks all!
When you get the time I oils disassemble and put a kit on your old one. Then you will have a spare.