Buying Advice Is JD worth the money

/ Is JD worth the money #41  
Yanmar all the way!! But do not get me wrong. I still own a John Deere M 1950 version, 2 x 314s and one 316. I wouldn't trade the 300 series lawn and garden for anything. My M was brought out of retirement after my 1999 4100 went to ****. And all thanks to John Deere greed. Ran that thing hard for 20 years not one issue. but the last 2 years I dumped nearly $4000 grand into rebuilding the front left of the axle multiple times. Each time the local Dealer James River, refused to sell just the one part I needed. claiming it wouldn't work in the HST, because it was only listed on the manual gear drive. each time the new parts failed within 20 hrs of use. I started raising a stink with John Deere directly and what did I find out? That the parts were NOT original YANMAR parts ( the model was built by yanmar and rebranded ) Back in 2008 when Yanmar opened here in the USA> JD had a chit fit and severed ties to replace and stock parts for the 4100/4110 and 4300 models. As well as a court order saying Yanmar could not supply as well. After year long confrontation.. JD refunded me all funds. With that, the trade in offer on my 4100, a few more VA checks and I will be enjoying a Yanmar 424!! & the best part!!! They use filters, fluids, hydraulics etc that can be ordered at any parts store. As well as makes repairs simple/ For example: the 3pt hitch lift cylinders are on the outside and can be easily replaced or upgraded.. NOT on the inside forcing the use of a dealer to repair etc!!

/ Is JD worth the money #42  
For me I feel going Green is worth the added cost not because I feel they build a superior product (a competitive product yes, superior no) but on different attributes.

First for me dealer support, I have four dealerships owned by different entities that carry JD in the compact utility tractor. The largest which is also the farthest away has a drop location at a farm 6 miles from my house. I order the part and go pick it up the the farm. I have bought JD products from 3 of them.

The second is parts inventory and online parts index as well as it is usually pretty easy to get a technical manual for models of tractors that have even been out of production for 20+ years. If JD doesn't carry the part it can typically be found through used parts supplier. I typically can find a part within 20 minutes of researching and then call a dealer or more often buy it online and have it at my doorstep in 3 days.

The third is that while the tractor itself a lot of times isn't American made the company is. That means the profits made go to pay a US job such as engineering, research/design, assembly or possibly a retired employees pension. If I have to pay a little more to support the US economy over an Indian, Korean or Japanese one I am ok with that within reason.

/ Is JD worth the money #43  
When we buy any tool. When I say "we" that is the municipality and organization I work for, but I am a primary user of it, among a few other operators. But I will be responsible for whatever machine and its service and care. I personally do not pay for anything. We can buy X, Y or Z brand tools and of course these all come in varying quality and prices. Two things we must consider is a nearby dealership for its service and some dependability which is much more, of a gray area. Within 15 miles we only have two tractor brands to choose from, while the next one is 100 miles away. What about dependability? When we have a machine fail in the field, it takes 2 of us about 8 hours to get it drug out and trailered somewhere for its repairs. This is a big deal to us since we have limited time to do jobs in. This is why the upfront cost of tools is important but so is its serviceability (a good dealership) and its dependability in the first place. Point is if a machine is know to breakdown, we'd not get it even if the dealership was the best in our area. These three factors is why we are considering a JD.....

/ Is JD worth the money #44  
I believe that he (MessickFarmEqu) just did.

I know that that is my experience and the main reason that I went 'green'.

I'd say the same thing for any organization that's proved their worth in the market (CNH, Kubota, Agco, etc). There is nothing Deere can do that these companies can't. There are a lot of attributes of Deere I loath, the only company I enjoy mocking more is Comcast. I don't think any of Deere's products are truly the best the market has to offer. They absolutely stand on their history, perception, and legacy. People are much quicker to forgive their mistakes because of it. However you have to give them some credit as an organization and network of dealerships they provide a consistent customer experience that gives a comfort level to many of their customers. Your not getting the best, but your always making a safe choice.

I don't think brands like Kioti, Mahindra, TYM, RK, XYZ, etc. are 'worth the money'. None are cheap enough in my eyes for all the non-tangibles your giving up.

/ Is JD worth the money #45  
Well put, but I thought it was the GREEN paint that held all the appeal for so many.

Funny, I am quite particular and critical. I can't say, that Kubota has ever disappointed me.

/ Is JD worth the money
Drove the 4055R today. It sure drives nice. Pedals are easy, auto leveling bucket is nice and 3pt back up buttons are nice. Just need to work on the price!