Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking?

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking?
Oh no, ive had many meals out of homemade pots. I didn't know they were so dangerous. I can't wait to use my completely homemade soup pot. Made it at work. Fried fish almost every weekend in a big pot made out of a piece of pipeline. Gosh I'm in the danger zone. Cooked over an open fire too. Living on the edge.
Please post any pics you can take. Projects like this are very interesting.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #13  
I have always been told to stop using a ceramic coated pan after the coating is chipped. It's not food safe anymore. I'm with your wife on this one, but it sounds like we are the only ones that have been told this.

True or not, I wouldn't take a chance. Buy a new pan and use the old one as a tote pan.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #14  
I don't see any problem with welding it. Being it is just steel, It may rust faster.
On handles I usually look to see if I can rivet that type of repair

Just Thinking: two handles and four spot welds. One broke; what about the others?

rScotty

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #15  
If there's any kind of coating/nonstick on that (many types), it contains PTFE (Teflon). PTFE + high heat (~540degrees F) = a bunch of fluoropolymer poisons.
Pots are relatively cheap; if there's any doubt whether there's a coating or not, IMO buy a new pot.

Last edited:
   / Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #16  
No, it is not safe to weld on the pan.

The problem is the heat generated and how it will effect the coating. The heat could breakdown the coating.

I wouldn't even use the pan now because the coating is clearly chipped. Would you want to consume even the smallest of chip? That chipping cannot be repaired.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #17  
Many years ago I worked for a company that made ceramic coated porcelain oven cavities and other things. It was quite a process an acid bath for steel, then nickle plate, either sprayed or dipped basically ground glass then spattered white ceramic (something to do with heat transfer), then run through an oven at 2400°F.
I wouldn't weld and try using it, and those roasting pans aren't expensive. As mentioned the ceramic coating is flaking off, you'd be eating bits of it and it wouldn't roast properly.