Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra??

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
Hi all.
I first thought plowing snow on drive lane to house would be great to do with my Mahindra with Industrial tires. I have
a box blade. For 20 + years I used an old rusty Blazer with plow. Always started up easy for winter, but not inspectable
for use on regular roads. The plow needs lot of work and I can't get parts. So, Blazer's out.

Now my thoughts have changed. 1. My lane is 3000 ft long. 2. It's got a steep hill. part way through. 3. A set of
chains $300 - $600. 4. might have to get some special tools to put chains on. 5. Probably can't plow with box blade
as good as 4wd. 6. I believe using a 4110 Mahindra would be much more dangerous than 4wd. 7. I would probably want
front wheel chains.

I figure I'll have $1000 in chains. The tractor snow plowing won't be near as good as truck. Last summer I almost
bought and old rusted pickup with rotted out bed. Ran good, though. Price was $1200. Should of bought it.

I gotta find another junk with plow which isn't likely to be easy. Of course I could look for plow for my pickup that's
on road every day. But, at this time I have no idea what a plow would cost, either new or used.

I'm wondering about safety and cost . What would a used plow cost for on road pickup? How safe is tractor?

To those out there, What say you?

Cheers.....Coffeeman

PS Maybe here in southwest Pennsylvania it might not snow much this year. Have to check Farmers Almanac.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #2  
Or just pay a commercial snow plow friend or neighbor to plow as needed, when needed. It would depend on Who and whatWho is driving that creates the need to plow.

I would NOT want a hulk around unused for use only as a snow plow. The day you need it is the same day it has to crank, start, move, operate hydraulics, stay running, not catch fire and push snow with decent tires. On the other days, its a planter and a mouse nest.

I'd recommend buying a tractor more suited to the year around jobs you have on the site: grass, woods, brush, snow and property maintenance. You can do it all with one machine with quick attachment accessories.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #3  
You have a 30 odd PTO HP 4wd compact right?

Put a snow blower on the 3pt and be done with it. You do have a long driveway, but up and down with a blower and you are done.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #4  
When I had a smaller tractor - Ford 1700 - I used a rear snow blower. I now have the larger Kubota and the rear blade works just fine. My driveway is one mile long, gravel and it take about 2-2.5 hours to clear it.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #5  
Small driveway with tight spaces and not much snow is where a tractor and blade excel.

Doing 3000ft drive, with the amount of snowfall you get, I wouldnt want anything but a warm cab and truck plow.

Box blade will suck. You need something that can angle and windrow. Blower is gonna be slow going and I wouldnt even consider that unless your tractor has a cab. Plus blowers are expensive.

I would ask what the plow is you have on the blazer now? And what is wrong with it? And what "parts" can you not get anymore.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra??
Or just pay a commercial snow plow friend or neighbor to plow as needed, when needed. It would depend on Who and whatWho is driving that creates the need to plow.

I would NOT want a hulk around unused for use only as a snow plow. The day you need it is the same day it has to crank, start, move, operate hydraulics, stay running, not catch fire and push snow with decent tires. On the other days, its a planter and a mouse nest.

I'd recommend buying a tractor more suited to the year around jobs you have on the site: grass, woods, brush, snow and property maintenance. You can do it all with one machine with quick attachment accessories.
Good thoughts. I'm side tracked because the Blazer came equipped with 4 snow recaps and 4 more inside.Over the years I only had one flat tire. I did plow one neighbor. I didn't mention I have a big lot about 2 miles away and would plow it too. Was always able to get dealer plate to drive it. Slap a used battery in truck and started up. Truck was just convenient . We raised blade with a jack for last couple
years. No big deal. Guy that has the lot thats plowed same time as mine. He would get Plow ready. Usually he would plow too. He has a car garage. Last year gas tank started leaking. The garage guy put a gas tank inside Blazer and ran a line from temporary tank in cab to engine. Gees, the Blazer is still running
good. It was too dangerous, in my opinion, to let the guy get it ready for season. Even if I'm not in truck. I wouldn't want and one to take an
outside chance to have accident.

Your exactly right. This season I'll hire a plow guy if I need it. I was lucky with Blazer. I don't need drive lane plowed for me & wife, unless really deep snow.
We have all wheel drive car, an Extera and a big Dodge 4wd pickup. I also have a 94 Fleetwood that I use usually on nice days. So don't need
to plow for that. I just like to keep clear because I get a lot of family and friends visiting. Of course, because of steep part of drive
when visitors come on snowy days, I have to run a bus service to me door.

For next year I'll look for a plow for my Dodge. However I like the snow blower idea mentioned by other guys.

Thanks all.........Coffeeman

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #7  
A 3pt mounted Blower and a front bucket or blade on a 20 to 40hp tractor will move more than a plow truck could ever dream to. Blow snow when you can and move the big stuff with the loader if you need to. It's the best 1,2 punch in the snow removal business. Cost Effective, I certainly think so.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #8  
Plus blowers are expensive.

Define expensive. A brand new 3pt one for a compact is a hair over 2 k "here" CHEAP compared to a loader. By a used one for $1000, I bought a 78" that only needed some minor welding I could do myself for $700.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #9  
A 3pt mounted Blower and a front bucket or blade on a 20 to 40hp tractor will move more than a plow truck could ever dream to. Blow snow when you can and move the big stuff with the loader if you need to. It's the best 1,2 punch in the snow removal business. Cost Effective, I certainly think so.

X2 on the three point blower/front bucket combo. It is better then the plow for several reasons. First when you blow snow it gets blown away from the drive so no big snow banks to worry about. Second no matter how much snow falls or how large a snow bank the municipal plow leaves at the end of the drive it is still easy to remove the snow without having to resort to high speed runs at the banks to get it to move. Lastly I find that my driveway seems to be in much better shape in the spring than it used be when I plowed. I think because the tractor doesn't drive the frost into the ground like the plow did.
One other consideration for me , I just got sick of having to try and maintain an old piece of junk to plow and having it break just when I needed it the most.
For an investment of one to two thousand you can get yourself a good used rear mount blower that will literally last for ever with very little maintenance.

/ Is it cost effective to plow driveway lane with 4110 Mahindra?? #10  
If you don't average a lot of snow per year a good rear blade may suffice.