Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove !

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
Hey,

On a borrowed brush hog, I have what appears to be a shear bolt, but after slamming a rock, It didn't 'shear'. I got to wondering if it may be a standard bolt. Its marked with the letters 'KS' in the center of the head and has three 'hash' marks at 120 degree points ( 2:00, 6:00, and 10:00 for you clock guys ! ). Anyone know if that's a shear bolt. It looks to be 3/8".

Thanks...

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #2  
That's a Grade 5 bolt ... fairly hard. Grade 2 is a "plain old" bolt. My 48" Bush Hog Squeeler calls for a 1/2" Gr. 2 bolt for the shear pin ...

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #4  
Most all shear bolts are grade 2 'soft' bolts. using a hardened bolt ( gr 5,8,10 ) in a shear application that calls for a soft bolt will usually yeild something shearing in the tractors PTO or transmission... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Soundguy

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #5  
Yes and slipclutches are nice too, only about $75 or so. An added measure of safety in addition to the shear bolt, and you don't have to replace many bolts. Buy several of the grade 2 bolts and keep them in a zip lock baggie in your tractor toolbox /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The cheapest grade/ungraded ones that TSC sells by the pound work nicely.

Oh on the is it a shear bolt thing. The shear bolts are usually the one bolt thru the rear end of the driveline pinning it to the input shaft on the gearbox. If that is it just drive out the middle part and replace it.

Ben

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On a borrowed brush hog, I have what appears to be a shear bolt, but after slamming a rock, It didn't 'shear'. )</font>

Probably the reason it didn't shear is that it's a grade 5 bolt. Since it's a borrowed cutter, the owner might have used the wrong bolt at some point. That means your PTO clutch is taking a strong "hit" instead of the shear bolt snapping as it should. You might want to talk to the owner and suggest replacing the grade 5 bolt with a grade 2. Your tractor will appreciate it and so will the cutter. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have what appears to be a shear bolt, but after slamming a rock, It didn't 'shear'. )</font>
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone know if that's a shear bolt. It looks to be 3/8". )</font>

I am wondering, from your statement, if you actually know that this bolt is in the 'shear bolt' location?

As it didn't shear, did you get any known damage from that rock 'slamming' ordeal?

Why are you 'afraid' to try to remove this bolt? If it is in the shear bolt location, no catastrophe should happen when removing it. That 'fear' you expressed is adding to my puzzlement over your question, and may affect the answer you are really looking for. We wanna help, if we can. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove !
Beenthere,

My fear is only the fact that if I ruin the bolt trying to remove it to have a look, it would put me out of mowing. I wasn't sure if the shear bolt was some one-off OEM special item that would take me a week to get. The ends are pretty goobered up so it will brobably take a grinder or torch to remove.

I am sure I am looking at what should be a shear bolt. Its no big surprise that the 'other owner' used a improper fix. He's like that.

As for damage....the mower is one big chunk of damage....The top panel has a nice circular cut in progess from blade contact, both side panels have been welded and re-built.....its in rough shape, but it's good for hacking away /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is really onlty the first big hit with the mower...I don't use it as a brush hog, just a ragweed hog.

Thanks for the help guys....I'll head to the local hardware store and grab a few Grade 2 bolts and change it out...

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove ! #9  
Thanks, as I understand now what you are saying.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The ends are pretty goobered up )</font>
I am puzzled now about what would bugger up the bolt ends? Do they hit something causing this?

/ Is It A Shear Bolt ? Afraid To Try To Remove !
Like I said, the owner is a little different. It appears that the chain that goes from the top link out to the wheel frame once wrapped up around the shaft. There is evidence of link chewing and it looks like the bolt head got crapped up. His solution to the apparent broken link....install a master padlock in the chain to sub for a link....Again...I'm just a borrower on this one !!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif