Is CL dead?

/ Is CL dead? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Have used Craigs List hundreds of times to sell and to a lesser extent, buy items.
Over the last year, noticed dwindling responses to my for sale items and a 10-fold increase in scams.
Has CL been ruined by these scam creatures?
It was a beautiful concept, saved me thousands in fees. Sad to see it die.

/ Is CL dead? #2  
I see less bargains these days; are people getting smarter about pricing? or have most of those older "great buys" simply sold out? You can't continuously have an endless supply of used products to sell (or buyers to buy) in a given area.

I've only used it very little to sell... if something doesn't sell, I do lower the price until it sells or I figure that I'm not going to give it away.

Also, the number of small businesses that "act" like individuals have increase to the point of being not interested in looking at Craig's List anymore.

/ Is CL dead? #3  
Might be a regional thing. I've sold lots of stuff on CL, bought some stuff, and recently sold 5 acres to a couple living in FL, and I'm in SC. They saw the listing I had on CL, and not Zillow...go figure.

But the OP is right, the scams are way up in numbers. I get 8-12 scam emails/texts minutes after I post something.

/ Is CL dead? #4  
Unfortunately CL is now inundated with scam ads and responses to real ads. Many are simply collecting gullible people's email addresses for future scamming. Those are more common on Facebook Marketplace, but on both platforms the scammers ultimately move to email (direct) or text.

Marketplace is far worse for hosting scam ads that could easily be removed with simple automation or common sense. They literally do not care so long as they are getting paid.

/ Is CL dead? #5  
Ive listed a lot of stuff on cl priced to get rid, it will sell quickly. I've noticed people are paying crazy prices at local auction sights sometimes more than new retail for the same item and folks are listing stuff on craigslist for more than retail also.i remember I bought a lincoln ac 225 welder 15 yrs ago on cl for $100 sold it this year on cl for 200 it was the least expensive one listed, and I built home made running gear for it. I rarely follow craigslist and auction sights like I use to buy things, just get comps to sell.

/ Is CL dead? #6  
I have not had much luck buying or selling on CL lately. The scams aren't helping much.

/ Is CL dead?
I cannot believe how few resources are used to prosecute scammers, hackers, etc.
The concept of CL on the internet is amazing. So much potential.

/ Is CL dead? #8  
I still prefer selling and shopping on CL over FB. Both have way too many scammers but I don't get many from the selling end. I think FB is worse for scammers. They seem to have a lot of "sponsored" scam ads.

People in general are stupid. You can post a price as firm and it seems to invite the low ballers. Some of them are not interested in what you have to sell and just think it's cute. I had one so ridiculous I blocked him after first contact.

Nobody seems to want to pay what something is worth. Others want to sell at unreasonable prices.

Shoppingg wise FB SUCKS! They can't seem to understand the meaning of setting a location range.

CL has started charging $5 for auto and motorcycle ads.

/ Is CL dead?
I still prefer selling and shopping on CL over FB. Both have way too many scammers but I don't get many from the selling end. I think FB is worse for scammers. They seem to have a lot of "sponsored" scam ads.

People in general are stupid. You can post a price as firm and it seems to invite the low ballers. Some of them are not interested in what you have to sell and just think it's cute. I had one so ridiculous I blocked him after first contact.

Nobody seems to want to pay what something is worth. Others want to sell at unreasonable prices.

Shoppingg wise FB SUCKS! They can't seem to understand the meaning of setting a location range.

CL has started charging $5 for auto and motorcycle ads.
Yeah I sold my F-350 in March on CL. Ad was $5. I still think thats an amazing bargain.
A few years ago, I started a new philosophy on selling. When a potential buyer call, the conversation usually turns to price, which I find amusing because they havent even come out to inspect the item yet!
Anyway, lets say I am asking $18,500 for my truck. I tell any potential buyer "I already turned down $17, 750, so if you are coming out to offer less than that, dont bother coming-you will be wasting our time".
That takes care of the dreamers and the tire kickers. It also signals I will take a small amount off.
It has worked for me for about the last 25 items I have sold.

I tried FB and all I get are "women" looking to "hook-up" lol.

/ Is CL dead? #10  
Craigslist started charging. But only for select categories. For "by owner" its auto stuff. Cars, motorcycles, RV's, etc.

For services they charge in every category.

For items "for sale by dealer" they charge for EVERYTHING.

Problem is there is no policing. So dealers post in the "by owner" section. I got so sick of browsing c-list farm+garden section....and filtering for "by owner" and seeing so freaking many dealer ads. OR like currently trying to find a specific trailer. The issue is dealers take advantage of it. They will mass post like 30 ads....then refresh them every other day so average joe trying to sell something gets overlooked and has little luck selling. So people give up, both selling and trying to buy.

Throw all that on top of facebook....with either local selling walls or market place, yea I think its safe to say craigslist is dead. Or at the very least on life support in the ICU. Either way....its dead to me.