Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #1  

Saitcho

Tractor
Kubota B26
I have a Kubota B26 TLB that blow black smoke if I push it too much, is that bad for the engine? During normal snowblowing operation everything works fine but If I go a little too fast I can hear the engine tone change slightly, RPM are not dropping, and the black smoke starts to comes out. That's my sign to slow down a little. I could get the job done faster with the black smoke coming out but was wondering if its bad for the engine or not.

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #2  
Without knowing more I’d say it’s normal. As you load the snowblower down the engines governor asks for more power to the point you are hitting full power.

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #3  
Sounds normal to me for non-emission control diesels. I believe that applies to your B26 TLB.

Kubota - and others - did experiment with retarding the injection timing to reduce nitrous oxide output back when NOx was regulated but visible smoke was not yet regulated. Retarding the timing a couple of degrees did reduce NOx, but also increased visible black smoke during RPM changes and when starting. That was all back in the Tier IV Interim period roughly 2007 to 2012- and it led to the full Tier IV "visible smoke" restrictions we have now.

I know about that because we have one of those Interim engines (2008). Works fine, but you do not want to be downwind when it lugs and then revs. Smoky and stinky. I've worried about it carboning up the engine and exhaust, but so far @ 1100 hours of mostly low rpm running the motor runs exactly as it did when new. I do try to change the engine oil and filter every year or two.. Or if hasn't been used much, just the filter. I use name brand full synthetic engine oil, 5w-30 or 5w-40 & Kubota filters.
I'm also pretty picky about the fuel.

rScotty

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #5  
Yes some smoke is normal when under load - i just slow down a bit. I plow in high range some times and if it starts to smoke I slow down. Most of the time I am working in M as a rule and it doesnt smoke.

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #6  
Are the RPMs dropping significantly when you see the smoke?

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #7  
The exhaust side of my front blower is pretty dirty come spring.
Normal-gets a good scrubbing!

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #8  
It depends on the engine loading and rpm.

Proper tuning should yield NO smoke BUT most people just crank the fuel and let it roll coal

Mechanical diesels are a little different since they dont have as precise tuning.

Excess smoking can create higher EGTs which on a turbo engine is bad

Gale banks has many hours of good lectures in diesel tuning

/ Is black smoke a problem while snowblowing #10  
It depends on the engine loading and rpm.

Proper tuning should yield NO smoke BUT most people just crank the fuel and let it roll coal

Mechanical diesels are a little different since they dont have as precise tuning.

Excess smoking can create higher EGTs which on a turbo engine is bad

Gale banks has many hours of good lectures in diesel tuning
Excessive smoke and high EGT are bad on N/A engines too.
We’ve seen really high

EGT/combustion temperatures on completely stock N/A mechanical diesel tractors operating in high elevations.
Adding a Turbo and leaving the fuel system stock (no additional fuel) will significantly reduce EGT/combustion temperatures, increase power and reduce/eliminate smoke in those conditions.

Mike