Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend?

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #1  
Tractor
Steiner 420
After last winter, this 60 something yo Hudson Valley homeowner decided he needs something more than his Tundra with a Fisher plow to take care of the 1/2 mile steep driveway and around the house. Truck does great on the road with 4 studded Nokian tires. But can't keep pushing snow against the house all season, and tired of back blading. I need a blower to clean up around structures, but I ain't walking behind one anymore.

I budgeted $10K for it and started looking for the right machine. Then I thought I get something not just for snow removal in winter. I could use help around here year round to lift things, push things, drag things, move things, etc.

Looked into UTV's, but they can't lift anything.

Looked into tractors- 25-35 HP. They'll do the job but my favorite Kubota's w diesel engine are expensive (had a KX-121 excavator when I built the house and loved it. Bought it w 4500 hours on it, and didn't spend a dime on it except to add a claw and replace tracks. sold it for same price I bought it for) . And, tractors can be unstable if I ever get to clear that hiking path on the steep mountain side.

I even looked into self-importing one from China (briefly).

Then I saw the Steiner 420. Enough HP's, I think. Low to the ground. Articulating wheels. Tons of attachments.

Question: Is Steiner 420 or 430 the right machine for my application and my budget?

Issues:
1- With my budget, I'm looking at 20+ year old model. That's OK since I hear Steiners are work horses. Most of these were mowers, so they don't have cabs or scoops or any other attachments.
2- Most of the ones out there have Kohler engines in them. I have no experience with Kohler, but many people here say it's a problem gas engine. Finding one w a Kubota diesel engine is hard.
3- I would definitely need a cab before I go out there in blizzards, which means I'd need a roll bar. Hard to find cabs and roll bars for older models, but it can be done.
4- I need to lift things. Slip scoop, aside from being rare to find, seems of limited use. I've seen Steiners w loaders, but I suspect not enough haudraulics to lift much (I'd need about 200 pounds lifting, 300 pounds max.)

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #2  
My Steiner won't barely lift out of a loose pile of material. And the lift height or total lack thereof has often been an issue, but hey, I have larger equipment.

I have a Kubota Diesel. It's rough, noisy, lacks power, and is a hard starter if not plugged in. I still like it despite that. I wouldn't touch one with an Onan Engine. The Kubota Gas Engine is really sweet and has more HP than the Diesel. I had one for a while.

Attachments are hard to find and expensive.

The little machine is really fun to use.

My 430 MAX. One of it's advantages and compact size.

Attachments

• DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:
   / Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend?
My Steiner won't barely lift out of a loose pile of material. And the lift height or total lack thereof has often been an issue, but hey, I have larger equipment.

I have a Kubota Diesel. It's rough, noisy, lacks power, and is a hard starter if not plugged in. I still like it despite that. I wouldn't touch one with an Onan Engine. The Kubota Gas Engine is really sweet and has more HP than the Diesel. I had one for a while.

Attachments are hard to find and expensive.

The little machine is really fun to use.
You have a slip scoop or a loader?
wonder what'd be like with a loader like LD300? Supposed to lift 300#

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #4  
Slip Scoop. With virtually no break out ability on the scoop, having a loader would be a bigger joke still , on THIS machine.

I gotta say, I practically hated this machine when I first got it. Maybe I was expecting something different. But it has grown on me and has become part of the family.
It is a very tedious machine to mow with.

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #5  
Funny you say it is a joke, Both the Steiner and the Ventrac will pick up a 500+ mower deck and my slip scoop will sure dig bank dirt pretty good. Holds a grade good too...... jim

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #6  
Must be the newer larger machines. My machine only has a thousand hours or so, so not exactly worn out. I would defy anyone to fill a slip scoop bucket from a pile with anything more dense than wood ships.

YES, it hs impressive pushing power for it's size. You can dig with it as you move forward. But it has no lifting capacity, and no power to curl, needed to take a scoop out of a pile.

Maybe put simpler. It has good tractive power but no hydraulic power. I had a 72" deck and it's all it could do to lift it.

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend?
Maybe put simpler. It has good tractive power but no hydraulic power. I had a 72" deck and it's all it could do to lift it.
That's the best way to put it, but I doubt it has "NO hydraulic power". Any lifting power I can get is a plus. I'd be glad if it can move a wheel barrow's load at a time given what else it can do. Saves back pain.
But if I have to risk to find out, I think I'm gonna try a find loader attachment. I like the lift height and the versatility much better than the limitations of hydraulic power. I know it can lift something. I'll just make more trips.

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #8  
Must be the newer larger machines. My machine only has a thousand hours or so, so not exactly worn out. I would defy anyone to fill a slip scoop bucket from a pile with anything more dense than wood ships.

YES, it hs impressive pushing power for it's size. You can dig with it as you move forward. But it has no lifting capacity, and no power to curl, needed to take a scoop out of a pile.

Better check your pressure then and if you are not running it wide open it will not do ****.... I use the crowd plus the curl to load the bucket and it will spill bank dirt over the top of the bucket and it pick it up and carry it. Maybe it isn't the machine thats the problem.... jim

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #9  
I have a 1994 Steiner 420 with a Onan engine with around 900hours on it. I have a 48" mower deck (backup mower for my Simplicity Citation XT 60"), the smaller leaf blower (which blows leaves into the neighbors yard), a Full Loader which will lift 200lbs - 300lbs without much rear end lifting (more weight in the loader or on uneven terrain will lift the rear but the loader can lift it when you adjust the pressure higher) and I have the 54" rotating brush for snow removal. That one attachment I use the most due to it being the primary snow removal (besides me with a shovel) at my 500ft driveway. That brush is a great thing and I have the cleanest driveway and it can even be clear and dry by 10am with a little bit of sun exposure from the south facing driveway. The Onan engine has been very good and I watch the cooling (make sure the rubber donut is in place by the oil filter) and have had some trouble with the wiring on the electrical system due to the molex connectors getting old and weak (not automotive quality connections those old White Molex's). I've given it new plugs and coils one time and the carb has NEVER been cleaned. I replace the fuel filter once in a while (maybe every 5 years) and I do take it to the Steiner dealer in Hanover Pa for hydro maint once every 5 years or so too for new filters and Steiner fluid replacement on their pressure exchanging machine (their own design). I am a homeowner user and have moved tons of dirt with the loader unit and have used it extensively for mulch and some gardening. I've hauled cut up lumber with it and pulled fallen trees more than I wanted to and it's handled it all well. I use a large cargo cart with it (the biggest cart I could find size wise that was specifically for gardening) and use it every year. I can't say enough good about having a Steiner as a homeowner. It's really a great machine. Versatile and powerful with a 20hp engine that really does the job IMO. I've done some "paid" work with it too moving dirt around and digging out a bank and leveling off for a shed. It did the job and the best part of it was no damage to anyone's yards. The machine isnt' like a skid steer and doesn't tear up the turf where it runs. For a Subcompact machine it's really good. I paid around 8500 bucks for it years ago with the loader and a blade (sold it as it was just sitting unused as the loader is more versatile) and the blower unit. I bought the brush used for $600. A deal too IMO for how well it works.

Buy a Steiner, you won't be unhappy unless you need something bigger. And I sold my bigger tractor a Ford 1900 with a 72" deck because the Steiner did most everything I need and the Simplicity out cuts the Ford by a large margin.

Steve

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #10  
I'm new to Steiners, and I'm in the process of fixing up a 2WD 230 model. It was sitting for years and I took a big chance and I bid on it in an auction and got it. I call it the Beast. It is big and heavy duty. It picks up the 72" mower deck on the front end easy. (I need to change hydraulic fluid, when it gets hot it has a tougher time picking it up). Yes, you need to have it going full RPM if you want it to lift with any strength and speed.

The 230 is not as popular for snow moving. The thing weighs like 1400 lbs with the diesel, and they still recommend rear weights if you have the 72" mower deck. The deck weighs something like 600 lbs.

I've just skimmed the surface of things I know about the Steiners. But I like the HD design, the commercial components. They have their pros and cons like most anything.

ONE thing I don't like......there is NOT an available Service Manual for the 230. I have found an Operators manual, a parts manual, a hydraulic pump manual.