Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good?

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #71  
When I moved I had 450 gals of red diesel in 2 tanks, I could not take it with us, so I gave it to my nicest neighbor.
It was stored inside and treated every 3 years, yes it was 10 yr old diesel and still worked great in my Branson and his Deere.
The secret is storing it indoors and treat it every few years.
There you go! Stored inside and treated. Wouldn’t have much problem with that.
Left somewhere where temps fluctuate and not treated?
Hell no.
I need reliability, not repairs.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #72  
There you go! Stored inside and treated. Wouldn’t have much problem with that.
Left somewhere where temps fluctuate and not treated?
Hell no.
I need reliability, not repairs.
I have been storing mine in an overhead tank outside in the sun for years. normally purchase 200-250 gallon at a time and after 3-4 years and no treatment have never had an issue with it.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #73  
I didn't want to cloud the picture by also mentioning that I've had steel tanks exposed to the sun for years.

Temp fluctuations? Check. It's not uncommon to have 50-degree swings in a day here. In general, from -10 to a bit over 80 during the year.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #74  
You have to get water condensation. Hope you have great filtration. I took lots of chances with fuel like that, then finally it was my turn to have ruined injectors.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #75  
You have to get water condensation. Hope you have great filtration.
If I indeed have to have it, I have yet to see any kind of evidence of it. Maybe the Star Tron (used Sta-Bil initially) takes care of it?

No special filtration, never had any water come out when checking the standard Fill-Rite setup.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #76  
Might be at the bottom of the tank.
We emptied the tank I drew bad fuel from.
What came out of it looked like something from a stagnant pond.
I drained the one I had here at my shop by removing the bottom bolt- it had water. I guess my water block filter took care of that.

I’d rather just deal in clean, new fuel.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #77  
I’d rather just deal in clean, new fuel.
I used to do that, but it got old (as did I) going to the not so nearby fuel station once a week or so and fill 10-12 cans.

Actually, it was decanting the fuel that was a real pain. So I started buying in bulk, having it delivered. Now it's just like at the station, pull out the hose and squeeze the handle.

And it doesn't hurt that the fuel is cheaper when delivered.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #78  
I used to do that, but it got old (as did I) going to the not so nearby fuel station once a week or so and fill 10-12 cans.

Actually, it was decanting the fuel that was a real pain. So I started buying in bulk, having it delivered. Now it's just like at the station, pull out the hose and squeeze the handle.

And it doesn't hurt that the fuel is cheaper when delivered.

I did that with a 500 gallon tank, but refueling at the tractor shop wasn’t practical for this farmer. I realize your situation may be different.

Much easier to bring the fuel to the tractor, than the tractor to the fuel. After years of sitting, I needed some fuel and my injectors went south in the tractor I refueled from that old tank of fuel.

The guy I buy off-road from is cheaper at his pump/station than delivered to me, so I fill up 80 gallons at a time in my truck mount tank.