Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good?

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #21  
Hopefully while doing your test, you siphon from the bottom, because thats where all the trouble is.
No, I don't siphon off the bottom, for the exact reason you stated.

I get the good fuel off the top and then I have the option of being able to use that last little bit on the bottom to start the woodstove in my shop.

SR

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #22  
No, I don't siphon off the bottom, for the exact reason you stated.

I get the good fuel off the top and then I have the option of being able to use that last little bit on the bottom to start the woodstove in my shop.

SR

“my test will be to pump some of it in a clean white pail and look at it. It easy to see if there's anything I don't want in old fuel.”

Of course I meant for doing the fuel test, silly :rolleyes: :LOL:

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #23  
“my test will be to pump some of it in a clean white pail and look at it. It easy to see if there's anything I don't want in old fuel.”

Of course I meant for doing the fuel test, silly :rolleyes: :LOL:
I understand, but first I get the top off, that's for sure what I'm going to burn in my tractor, if it looks good.

SR

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #24  
Inside insulated and a dry climate,I don't think it's bad.
Engine starts and runs well.
Why not take a trip and add a little fresh fuel?
Good Luck!

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #25  
   / Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #26  
Had a neighbour that always ordered died diesel for farm use. He had a 500 imperial gallon tank that took him at least 2 years to finish.
He really messed up his tractor one spring. He fueled up to do some early cultivating. Gummed everything up. Fuel had rust from the bottom of the tank, water and had just gone bad.
After that he started buying fuel like I do. I'll get 4-6 5 gallon jugs that I know I'll use up in due time.
His savings of a few cents per litre buying bulk cost him thousands. It might have been more if he had refueled both tractors at the same time.
I bought home heating oil in march of 2020 and am still useing it in my equipment with no issues. A proper filter on the pump does wonders.
I still have half a tank so nearly another 4yrs worth of fuel.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #27  
I buy bulk fuel. 2400 gallons at a time. typically lasts 2 to 3 years before I need a refill. I try to time my purchase for tax spending and low points in the oil market (none election years). I have been doing this for 20 years and have not ever had any issues with fuel quality. I do run a filter on the pump and a Hydrophilic breather to keep out moisture. My tank is epoxied on the inside with a manhole flange for inspection, but I have never taken it off and inspected. I hear a lot about algae problems but I think that in the absence of sunlight algae can not grow and thrive.

I have had diesel turn to varnish on a machine that was parked for 8 years, but the varnish was all in the lines, when I drained the tank the fuel was fine outside of some water and no strange odor. I think the varnish had to do with the rubber hoses breaking down and some chemical reaction occurring.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #28  
Waste of money if you did not add conditioners let me know if you use it. I love money and love cheap ass old fuel . Last customer who was using crap like that I got 6500$
Mechanics in area will love you

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #29  
I'd check it visually too and use it but in my supply hose I would ensure that I had a Golenrod or whatever the name is, final filter to pick up any minute particles that may be unseen. TSC sells them among others.

/ Is 4 year old diesel fuel any good? #30  
I am friends with a BIG TIME operator in my area. He got a 5,000 gallon diesel tanks off a big milk & dairy producer for $0!!!
The dairy producer had huge new Cummins diesel generators installed, and the installer refused to give them a warranty on the generators unless the old tank and fuel was removed And new ones installed.
So my farmer friend got the tank & remaining fuel in it for nothing. He just had to remove it from their facility and bring it to his farm.

Just thought it was interesting that the generator company would not give a warranty on gen sets unless they had NEW tank and NEW fuel. They said too much risk that injectors and pumps could be ruined.