#@%-*#. IRS

/ #@%-*#. IRS #22  
When the second stimulus payment (debit card), my wife received one but I did not. When the third payment was issued, my wife got one but I did not. Married filing jointly. Tried calling IRS, but it was the middle of tax season and no answer from IRS.

So there was a form that allowed you to claim the second payment on your tax return. Submitted it and waited, and waited and waited. After about 3 months we finally get a check, but they disallowed the $600 stimulus payment.

A couple of weeks later I get a letter from IRS telling me that my refund was “adjusted” because the information in their system did not match my 1040.

Now I have been using the same name and SS number on tax returns for over 60 years. Apparently the info in their system was good enough to issue a reduced refund but not the stimulus payment.

In their letter they provided a phone number, different from the typical IRS number, if you want to “discuss” the issue. Just like all the other phone numbers I have called a dozen times, after 5 minutes of push, his push, that you get the same canned recording that sez, “due to extreme call volume we prefer that you get screwed and call back some other time”. Or something like that.

#%&@-#

EDIT. Maybe the IRS thinks I’m dead and don’t have to pay taxes any more. WOO HOO!
I'm in the middle of a paper audit from 2019. Since I'm being audited, no stimulus checks. In fact, this afternoon will be spent sitting on hold to make another in person visit to the closest IRS office (over 90 miles away one way) as I have learned no amount of letter-writing, providing documents, et cetra mailed in seems to get documented and considered.

I read last summer that 4.4 million Americans where getting paper audited. I cannot imagine the frustration if their experience is similar to my own.

/ #@%-*#. IRS #23  
A friend told about being audited for her husband's garage business years ago. The agent (s?) were there for several days and kept finding obscure little things to ask about. They finally learned to stop arguing and just pay whatever the extra was going to be, whether it was right or wrong. He closed the business not long after that...

/ #@%-*#. IRS #24  
I'm in the middle of a paper audit from 2019. Since I'm being audited, no stimulus checks. In fact, this afternoon will be spent sitting on hold to make another in person visit to the closest IRS office (over 90 miles away one way) as I have learned no amount of letter-writing, providing documents, et cetra mailed in seems to get documented and considered.

I read last summer that 4.4 million Americans where getting paper audited. I cannot imagine the frustration if their experience is similar to my own.
For the reasons you describe above, I love my CPA, even at $350+ per hour!
She is in Minnesota too......even though I have not lived there for 30 years.

/ #@%-*#. IRS #26  

Pure evil... I do everything in my power to not get into that nightmare. Came close once... that was enough. Squeaky clean is my motto...

/ #@%-*#. IRS #27  
I use a CPA and have for many many years. An IRS audit is expensive, time consuming, and a real hassle or so I've been told. I've never been audited. I discussed taking some extra deductions (legal ones) because I'd kept the records for it. CPA said not to claim them because it would be a red flag and probably cause an audit just to see if I had the records. The cost of the audit would be more than the deduction. And on the other hand, he's found some deductions I didn't know about. It may cost me a few hundred for him to do the taxes, but he's worth it.

/ #@%-*#. IRS #28  
I use a CPA and have for many many years. An IRS audit is expensive, time consuming, and a real hassle or so I've been told. I've never been audited. I discussed taking some extra deductions (legal ones) because I'd kept the records for it. CPA said not to claim them because it would be a red flag and probably cause an audit just to see if I had the records. The cost of the audit would be more than the deduction. And on the other hand, he's found some deductions I didn't know about. It may cost me a few hundred for him to do the taxes, but he's worth it.

CPA’s are fine.

The IRS really only listens to lawyers.

MoKelly

/ #@%-*#. IRS #29  
Didn't get either of the 1st two stimuli. Called IRS, eventually landed in the EIP Department. Gentleman there confirmed I absolutely qualified by 2019 AGI. Told me to claim it on line 32? of 2020 1040. I did

IRS disallowed it turning my expected small refund into a hefty tax due with interest penalty. A phone # to discuss the issue was included

After 1 hour 37 minutes a nice IRS employee (who apologized for the delay every 5~7 minutes) confirmed I was due the $1800 1st & 2nd stimuli and authorized the payment to sent to me in 4~6 weeks.

In the meantime my "underpayment" plus interest is due August 2nd :rolleyes

/ #@%-*#. IRS #30  
Pure evil... I do everything in my power to not get into that nightmare. Came close once... that was enough. Squeaky clean is my motto...

I intend to restate my 2019 taxes with a 1040X going through Turbo Tax. Then Turbo tax will send the IRS every possible worksheet, form, or whatever. I have every expense documented and numbered, as well as all income documented and numbered by job and revenue stream. The issue is that the IRS kept changing the forms on me and I lost the ability to "know" what I was doing. When I had to file a schedule K last year, over pool futures contracts my other self-employed buddies suggested Turbo Tax as a good alternative unless I had a payroll over $250K, which I don't.