irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s

/ irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Hello. Hope everyone is doing well. Has anyone every heard of IRONDOG trailers? This showed up on craigslist. I would want to convert to a ball system, but do not know of any bolt on couplers for this type of mounting plate. Ideas/ opinions? As always thanks in advance.

Attachments

• idog1.jpg
    idog1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 625
  • idog2.jpg
    idog2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 362
   / irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s #2  
It would be simple enough to convert it to a 2 5/16" ball. Just weld a coupler to 1/2 steel plate the drill and bolt it to the pintle plate.

Make sure it doesn't have air or hydraulic brakes unless you are set up to control them.

Chris

/ irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s #3  
It would be simple enough to convert it to a 2 5/16" ball. Just weld a coupler to 1/2 steel plate the drill and bolt it to the pintle plate.
Make sure it doesn't have air or hydraulic brakes unless you are set up to control them.
Chris
It looks like you can get one that is already setup that way:
Bulldog Cast Head Coupler w/ Wedge Latch - 2-5/16" Ball - Flat Plate Mount - 25,000 lbs Bulldog Trailer Coupler BD4425000317
Wallace Forge Flat Mount Trailer Coupler, 25K Wallace Forge Trailer Coupler FC25
Atwood Flat Nose Trailer Coupler - Black E-Coat - 2-5/16" Ball - Flat Plate Mount - 25,000 lbs Atwood Trailer Coupler 75074
Those three are all 25k rated couplers. They also have them in 14k and 20k weight ratings.

Aaron Z

/ irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s #4  
Although, you could also get a pintle hitch for your truck and greatly reduce the pool of people who would be able to tow it...

Aaron Z

/ irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s #5  
I have a pintle on mine, was there when I got it. The slop allowed by the ring and hitch can be un-nearving at times, it will move around and you feel it. Ball and coupler would be better for that reason. But the type shown on the trailer pictured is not one I've seen before. Good luck with that.

/ irondog deckover trailer??? and pintle to ball conversion ?'s
Thanks to everyone who replied, but I did not get this trailer. Owner was "extremely bothered" by me (politely) asking about the 25' foot length listed in the ad (deck length, deck length with beaver tail, or overall length? (some people on c/l actually add the tongue length...)) Basically stated he was too busy (to measure anything), and that I could drive (2hrs each way) and find out for myself....