Iron planet auctions.

/ Iron planet auctions. #11  
Iron Planet actually got themselves into some trouble.
Apparently Cat, Komatsu and Volvo are co-owners of Iron Planet.

/ Iron planet auctions. #12  
I think it is a way to eliminate bid sniping like what happens on ebay. It also makes it more like a meat space auction. Plus the auction makes more money. We've all probably seen auctions where people have to win and end up over paying what it's really worth.

/ Iron planet auctions. #13  
Depends on if the rules of the auction allow the seller to bid on his own stuff. Essentially running up the bids against the actual buyers.

Or is the seller being allowed to reopen bidding within a set time after the last call?

Does the auction allow the high bidder to reneg during a specified time after the last call, thereby allowing the auction to continue?

/ Iron planet auctions. #14  
Depends on if the rules of the auction allow the seller to bid on his own stuff. Essentially running up the bids against the actual buyers.

Or is the seller being allowed to reopen bidding within a set time after the last call?

Does the auction allow the high bidder to reneg during a specified time after the last call, thereby allowing the auction to continue?
I would not bid in any auction that allowed any of the above practices. A good auction gives equal opportunity to all bidders. The 2 minutes used to let a bid stand uncontested eliminates bid snipping. Shill bids have always been forbidden. Once a bid is placed - the buyer pays.
We all know what is right and wrong.

/ Iron planet auctions. #15  
I would not bid in any auction that allowed any of the above practices. A good auction gives equal opportunity to all bidders. The 2 minutes used to let a bid stand uncontested eliminates bid snipping. Shill bids have always been forbidden. Once a bid is placed - the buyer pays.

Anyone else try Bidadoo equipment auctions

I did and there was some Really INTERESTING things going on In ebays tracking of the bidding history.

Enough to say that I will never bid on that platform again.

/ Iron planet auctions. #16  
Anyone else try Bidadoo equipment auctions

I did and there was some Really INTERESTING things going on In ebays tracking of the bidding history.

Enough to say that I will never bid on that platform again.
I haven't bid on ebay in 10 yrs. I used to - I've no interest in eBay anything any more. Unless what I'm looking for cannot be found anywhere else.

/ Iron planet auctions. #17  
A lot of people don’t really familiarize themselves with the rules of the auction before they start bidding.

In one way or another, all or part of what I posted is allowed at many auctions. Nothing is really as absolute as you might think. Just like ‘as is where is’ or ‘once a bid is placed - the buyer pays’.

We represented auctions, buyers and sellers in mediations and arbitration for years.

/ Iron planet auctions. #18  
extending the auction a few minutes after the last bid seems fair. It eliminates sniping where people were using computer programs to get a high bid recognized just as the auction timed out.

I was looking at eBay last night for the first time in years. What a cluster you know what.

Mostly dealers with unrealistic reserves, flipping polished turds, with semi truthful (I’m being generous) verbiage and description, mostly without location. Very few private sellers.
I’m pretty much done with eBay now.

pretty sure I got scammed on eBay when I bought my last project car a number of years. I think the seller, a Chicago cop, had a shill bidder working against me.

/ Iron planet auctions. #19  
extending the auction a few minutes after the last bid seems fair. It eliminates sniping where people were using computer programs to get a high bid recognized just as the auction timed out.

I was looking at eBay last night for the first time in years.

pretty sure I got scammed on eBay when I bought my last project car a number of years. I think the seller, a Chicago cop, had a shill bidder working against me.
Most auctions have a call, ‘going once, going twice, sold to so-and-so for $xxx’. Automated auctions usually have a count down timer visible and audible. Buyers maybe watching several lanes at once, some even watch auctions in several locations with several lanes going at each location at once. Sellers also have Reps watching auctions and approving bids or setting items to RE-run In a later auction. Some are physically present and some are virtual. Some sellers have optimizing programs which will approve or rerun a unit based on many factors, makes it a very efficient process but almost impossible to get a real bargain anymore.

Shill bidders have always been around. Have you ever been to the ‘antique auctions’ in Hot Springs and other places? Some used to be about 50% or more shills. In some auctions it’s known and permitted that the seller can bid on his own stuff. The regular buyers may know when this is happening but they may not.

I have seen buyers from the same company bidding against each other to run up bids on a unit that their company was selling.

Regular on site buyers often compare sales lists and decide if they will bid against each other or not on certain items or arrange private sales after the auction. Online auctions make that more difficult because you can’t control the guy in Timbuktu bidding online.

Auctions should have tapes that can be reviewed in event of disputes which is where we came in. To mediate or arbitrate those disputes.

I’ll stop before getting too specific. Auctions are efficient ways to sell a lot of items quickly, most involve a lot of money and sophisticated buyers and sellers and processes designed to be fair and ethical. There are always those looking for a way to beat the system.

/ Iron planet auctions. #20  
Most auctions have a call, ‘going once, going twice, sold to so-and-so for $xxx’. Automated auctions usually have a count down timer visible and audible. Buyers maybe watching several lanes at once, some even watch auctions in several locations with several lanes going at each location at once. Sellers also have Reps watching auctions and approving bids or setting items to RE-run In a later auction. Some are physically present and some are virtual. Some sellers have optimizing programs which will approve or rerun a unit based on many factors, makes it a very efficient process but almost impossible to get a real bargain anymore.

Shill bidders have always been around. Have you ever been to the ‘antique auctions’ in Hot Springs and other places? Some used to be about 50% or more shills. In some auctions it’s known and permitted that the seller can bid on his own stuff. The regular buyers may know when this is happening but they may not.

I have seen buyers from the same company bidding against each other to run up bids on a unit that their company was selling.

Regular on site buyers often compare sales lists and decide if they will bid against each other or not on certain items or arrange private sales after the auction. Online auctions make that more difficult because you can’t control the guy in Timbuktu bidding online.

Auctions should have tapes that can be reviewed in event of disputes which is where we came in. To mediate or arbitrate those disputes.

I’ll stop before getting too specific. Auctions are efficient ways to sell a lot of items quickly, most involve a lot of money and sophisticated buyers and sellers and processes designed to be fair and ethical. There are always those looking for a way to beat the system.

My complaint is that Ebay states that shill bidding is Not allowed will be dealt with yada yada.

Yet week after week these auctions on used equipment in the 10s and 10s of thousands of dollar amounts.
You look at the bidding history and while ebay shields the buyers identity which is fine.

It doesn't take a genius to see where a bidder with just a few points bids on that companies multiple items and "Only" that companies items.

I saw it bidding on a 2 used mini excavators 8-16000 lb machines.

At least 2 bidders out bid me, 100 % of their bids were on that auctions OVER 30 Items. No other history except IIRC a few low dollar previous purchases.

Then they magically bid $ 17,000 or more on multiple industrial equipment at Only that sellers auction 100% of that persons bids in the last 30 days type of thing. Varied items like lift trucks, backhoes mini ex's balers, semi tractors, etc. I checked 3 auctions after my failed attempt when the bids got pushed way above what 40 year old repainted high or unknown hr. equipment is worth. In the end Glad I just watched craigslist and found a low dollar unit that I could see in person and talk to the person that I was buying from directly.