Invest in a Bobcat 322?

/ Invest in a Bobcat 322? #1  

Diamondback

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4060
My neighbor has a Bobcat 322 he wants to sell and I've wanted a trackhoe for some time. I'm just concerned about it's ability. It's a pretty small machine. Anyone out there have some experience with this unit or one in it's size.

The unit has 1500 hrs and he says it runs fine but I haven't seen it yet. He bought it used three or four years ago and has used it very little. Plan on taking a look at it this week. Please let me know what I should be looking for. Used equipment generally concerns.

Thanks, D

/ Invest in a Bobcat 322? #2  
I've used a 325 a few times and it got the job done, not sure about a 322 but it beats the heck out of a shovel and pick ax. What kind of work are you planning on doing? as far as used equipment I wouldn't worry about it too much with 1500 hours on it. If it has been running a breaker just walk away from it, them things beat the booms and bushings to pieces and keeps everything good and loose.

/ Invest in a Bobcat 322?
Birdhunter1,

We have approximately 10 acres of mainly 10-30 degree sloped property that I am cleaning up (not scalping, just getting underbrush and dead trees out). After watching an operator on a Bobcat 337 clear 1.5 acres full of stumps, dead trees,etc. on 30 degree slope in one day was truly impressive. The stability of a track machine vrs my L35 TLB was no contest.

Specs list the 322 at 15.7 hp vs 27.5 hp for the 325. Lift capacity on the 322 is a little less than 500 lbs. 325 is a little over 900 lbs.

The owner paid 10,000 for it a few years ago so I'm guessing he'll ask a little less. Price seems good...just afraid it will be a tad wimpy.

/ Invest in a Bobcat 322? #4  
It is always something you can sell again, it will do quite a bit of work but it may take longer. How big are these stumps you need to take out? if they are 8" and under then you'll be fine but the 322 is not a machine that is going to be pulling 4' stumps everyday.

/ Invest in a Bobcat 322? #5  
the 322 is a very small machine. i think after play with it a bit you will see how light it is compared to your L35 digging. for the price you will pay for it you can rent a 5-6 ton machine and really get to work. may even save some money. also won't have to worry about reliability. the 322 also is very thin for fitting between gates so i wouldn't think they are the best machine for side sloping. if it were me i would have a larger ex delivered and work it hard for week then come back and clean the mess with the L35 with a grapple.
good luck either way,