International HT570 diesel engine

/ International HT570 diesel engine #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Looking at buying a truck in NY with an IH HT570 9.5L diesel engine.
It’s an ‘07, so it’s a pre-emissions model.

I have had a few trucks with DT466’s and DT530’s in them. They were stout. Don’t know the bigger ”high torque” HT-570.

Heard all the horror stories on the ”Max Force” versions, so not even going there unless I would get a great deal.

Its a 7/06 engine build date and its 310HP/1050TQ.

/ International HT570 diesel engine #2  
Do a bit of homework. Tractors got real serious about emissions in 2014. Trucks started about 2004, I believe. My 2008 Dodge had a diesel particulate filter and some kind of exhaust gas recirculation. That was the first year for that particular engine - always a bad thing.

/ International HT570 diesel engine
I never saw any emissions on a truck dated 2007MY or older, other than EGRs.

/ International HT570 diesel engine #4  
   / International HT570 diesel engine #5  
Heard all the horror stories on the ”Max Force” versions, so not even going there unless I would get a great deal.

The International CEO nearly bankrupted the company wth his "EGR only" emission goal, while his engineers said that it would defy the laws of physics.

I am not really into on-road emissions, but i read its the emission standards that were implemented between 2007 and 2010 that allmost bankrupted the company due to warranty claims, loss of business, and non-compliance penalties.

Because Navistar International was late to the party and had to pay non-compliance penalties, i suspect the 2007 model didnt have this troublesome emission system yet.

With offroad engines, on the manufacturers plate it is stated which emission level it complies to. I dont know if on-road is the same, or if emissions are approved as a whole truck, instead of an OEM engine like we used back in the day.

Oh by the way: if that engine is buit 07 month, 06 year, it means that they have buffered the MY 06 engines for use in 07 so they didnt have to pay the non-compliance fee yet. That would mean that youre good with this engine...

Last edited:
The International CEO nearly bankrupted the company wth his "EGR only" emission goal, while his engineers said that it would defy the laws of physics.

I am not really into on-road emissions, but i read its the emission standards that were implemented between 2007 and 2010 that allmost bankrupted the company due to warranty claims, loss of business, and non-compliance penalties.

Because Navistar International was late to the party and had to pay non-compliance penalties, i suspect the 2007 model didnt have this troublesome emission system yet.

With offroad engines, on the manufacturers plate it is stated which emission level it complies to. I dont know if on-road is the same, or if emissions are approved as a whole truck, instead of an OEM engine like we used back in the day.

Oh by the way: if that engine is buit 07 month, 06 year, it means that they have buffered the MY 06 engines for use in 07 so they didnt have to pay the non-compliance fee yet. That would mean that youre good with this engine...
Excellent, because I’m very close to owning it. I don’t see any emissions hardware on it, so I was pretty confident.

/ International HT570 diesel engine #7  
I used to work for an International dealer as a mechanic, those are a fine truck engine. They had EGR and a catalyst muffler which could easily be removed in favor of a normal muffler. Most frequent problems are injector harnesses and leaks in the high pressure oil system. Just don't buy the next model year.

I have been looking for about a year and purposely avoiding the “Maxxforce” engines.